Swallowing Stones by Joyce McDonald

Swallowing Stones by Joyce McDonald is a suspenseful book about a tragic accident that set off a chain of events that would change the small town of Briarwood forever. Michael Mackenzie fired off his Winchester Rifle on July 4th, showing it off to his best friends. Little did he know that he had taken the life of a man, and this act would create horrible repercussions.

There are 2 main characters within this book; Michael Mackenzie, the accidental killer and Jenna Ward, the daughter of the deceased father. After Michael finds out about the event, his best friend Joe, tells him to keep it covert because he could be imprisoned for it. But throughout the book Michael is plagued by guilt from his conscience as more and more people are becoming involved and getting hurt. During the course of the book Michael is going through a lot of emotional struggle, and is thinking on deeper and entirely new levels.

Meanwhile Jenna is just beleaguered with thoughts of “what if” she had done something different he wouldn't have been killed, and dealing with the “innocent's guilt”. At first she had wanted revenge for whoever did this, so she could fill the emptiness inside her, but later realized that she just wanted it to end. Jenna realized she had to come to terms with herself before she could truly accept her father's death.

The death of her father mixes with her personal life when she begins to have panic attacks around her boyfriend. Michael's personal life becomes complicated as he can not see a definite right or wrong answer, for the word is not black and white, it is gray. Both Jenna and Michael's private lives turn in to turmoil with misunderstanding, break ups, new friends and broken trust. All of this mixed in with the normal anxiety of a teenager.

A truly great book filled with power, and an emotional thriller .This is a must read for all genres of readers, for it is filled with suspense, fast paced , and an intricate plot terrifyingly truthful of how one event can change a life, or the lives of many in one foul stroke.

lil aaron c said...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:39 am:
i like the book a little bit and  i like when mikes grandfather gave him a gun for his birthday and it was down stairs in the basement of mikes house it was the fourth of july and mike and his friend joe took the gun to the woods and fired the gun and the next day they heard a man got shot on the radio.what happen in the book was basicly no one was honest and everyone was liening about what they saw and if they did anything like when mike found out he killed chalie ward he didnt turn h... (more »)

Ade 14 replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:53 am :
i also agree

Mrs. Martinez replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:54 am :
Aaron I agree that honesty is a big theme of this book. If only we would all be more honest in life, the world may be a better place.

lil aaron c replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:55 am :
sike yours aint never better

kendra said...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:38 am:
Swallowing Stones  about a teenager name micheal had got an rifle for his Birthday from his grandfather and he shot it on july 4 up in the air and accidently shot a man name charlie ward who was on his roof on that afternoon. after he found out he did it he didnt tell anyone but his bestfriend joe buried it in his backyard in was very sad about it. I like the book it was good i liked how it was in micheal chapter then jenna's and how it combined at the end. however i did not like the end i ... (more »)

lil aaron c replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:46 am :
kendra is a lame u copied off me

Ade 14 replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:47 am :
i also agree about the ending

Chav B replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:47 am :
Kendra i totally agree i like the way you described the book so well Great Job!!!!

Mrs. Martinez replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:48 am :
Aaron - the word lame is not acceptable. Please use more mature language.

Chav B said...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:37 am:
True i totaly agree

Chav B said...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:34 am:
The book was good. I liked how they had jenna and micheal parts. In the book it claims the Micheal shot Jenna dad Charlie Ward. Throughout the whole book it was lack of Honesty, because Micheal and his friend Joe did not keep it real. I like book because of the things that happened. It keep me wanting more. Then i like how Jenna and Micheal finally at the end. The only part i hate was at the end they didnt tell what the convorsation was.

Mrs. Martinez replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:41 am :
Great review. Very insightful! Glad you liked the book!

lil aaron c replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:43 am :
i agree with chav b on his comment about the book and  i think the book was not at all total honesty i think cvavez copied off me but thats ok

Ade 14 replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:49 am :
i agree about what you said

richyy said...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:25 am:
bad ending but i think  it was okeyy

Mrs. Martinez said...
I too think that the book had a very frusterating ending, but think that the overall message of being honest and doing the right thing outweighs the dissapointing ending.

Chav B replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:38 am :
True i totaly agree

Kendra replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:43 am :
I to think the ending was very frustrating.

SweetGabbie13 said...
It was a stupid ending!!! I read it and was like "What the...." HahaxD and then I kept asking people if there was a sequeal and...theres not:(

lexisJ replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 12:02 pm :
trueee.! loz

antwon replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 12:15 pm :

wattttttttttttttt