Swallowing Stones by Joyce McDonald

Swallowing Stones by Joyce McDonald is a suspenseful book about a tragic accident that set off a chain of events that would change the small town of Briarwood forever. Michael Mackenzie fired off his Winchester Rifle on July 4th, showing it off to his best friends. Little did he know that he had taken the life of a man, and this act would create horrible repercussions.

There are 2 main characters within this book; Michael Mackenzie, the accidental killer and Jenna Ward, the daughter of the deceased father. After Michael finds out about the event, his best friend Joe, tells him to keep it covert because he could be imprisoned for it. But throughout the book Michael is plagued by guilt from his conscience as more and more people are becoming involved and getting hurt. During the course of the book Michael is going through a lot of emotional struggle, and is thinking on deeper and entirely new levels.

Meanwhile Jenna is just beleaguered with thoughts of “what if” she had done something different he wouldn't have been killed, and dealing with the “innocent's guilt”. At first she had wanted revenge for whoever did this, so she could fill the emptiness inside her, but later realized that she just wanted it to end. Jenna realized she had to come to terms with herself before she could truly accept her father's death.

The death of her father mixes with her personal life when she begins to have panic attacks around her boyfriend. Michael's personal life becomes complicated as he can not see a definite right or wrong answer, for the word is not black and white, it is gray. Both Jenna and Michael's private lives turn in to turmoil with misunderstanding, break ups, new friends and broken trust. All of this mixed in with the normal anxiety of a teenager.

A truly great book filled with power, and an emotional thriller .This is a must read for all genres of readers, for it is filled with suspense, fast paced , and an intricate plot terrifyingly truthful of how one event can change a life, or the lives of many in one foul stroke.

Cam#1 said...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:48 am:
Swallowing stones is a book about a boy who a shot a random bullet in the air. The bullet somehow killed Charlie Ward the father of Jenna Ward. Michael (the boy who shot the gun) buries the rifle because he thinks he is the killer. At the end Michael can’t live with his guilt and confesses to Jenna Ward that he was the killer

cosb replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:50 am :
you dont now wat u talkin about

Cam#1 replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:52 am :
Kid go to microsoft office to get your grammar right fatty

cosb replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:53 am :
g go back to lincoln u belong there they yo same height boy

Chav B replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:00 am :
GUYS STOPPP THIS IS NOT NEEDED!!!

dare replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 10:01 am :

lol yall need to stop

cosb said...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:45 am:
I did like the book but I did not like the ending.I  did not like the ending because I thought I was going to read what Michael was going to say to Jenna

Josh said...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:45 am:
Swallowing stone is a book about a boy name Michael who gets a rifle on his birthday. And decide to shoot the gun. And later on kills a man by the name of Charlie ward. It’s also about something you shouldn’t do or else you will get put in a bad position like Michael. I didn't like swallowing. Because the ending was stupid. And jenna chapters was boring 

Mrs. Martinez replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:46 am :
Nice Review Josh!! I agree that Jenna's chapters were a little slow. But the overall book was good.

cosb replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:48 am :
true i do agree

Ade 14 said...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:44 am:
Swallowing stones is a book about a boy name Michael and a girl name Jenna. And how Michael had killed Charlie ward on accident when he went into the woods. Then Michael hides the gun so it wouldn’t be found by the police. At the end Michael was going to confess to Jenna and he meets her at the ghost tree where she was sleeping. I think the book was good but I really didn’t like the ending because I wanted to know what was going to happen at the end. I also wanted to know was Michael... (more »)

Kendra replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:50 am :
I agree i wanted to know how it ended to!

jazz replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 12:10 pm :
girl me 2 that book was gud i wanted 2 kno how it ended i thought if waz finna get betta n betta

consuela collins replied...
Nov. 1, 2012 at 10:54 am :
Swallowing stones is a great book. It’s mainly about a boy name Michael who was just turning 16 who were giving a gun. On his birthday his grandfather gave him a gun and Michael shot it in the backyard. Later that day a man was found dead on top of a roof. That lead up to the gun that Michael shot. Long story short is that Michael killed a man and was scared to live up to it. I love this book because it was more like a mystery story. It is the kind of story that that I enjoy reading. Th... (more »)

Lloyd S. said...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:42 am:
It is michael fault, if he would of never shot the rifle.Charlie Ward would be still alive.

Josh replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:47 am :
i Agree  .

cosb said...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:40 am:
Swallowing Stones is a book about two different lives a girl named Jenna and a boy named Michael. Michael Mackenzie doesn’t know until the day after that he killed a man named Charlie Ward while he was on his way to get his driver’s license. He is having a hard time overcoming the guilt and the hard times. Him and his best friend Joe are trying to keep it a secret from the police and everybody they know. Jenna is trying to keep her feelings in from people she knows. At the end Michae... (more »)

lil aaron c said...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:39 am:
i like the book a little bit and  i like when mikes grandfather gave him a gun for his birthday and it was down stairs in the basement of mikes house it was the fourth of july and mike and his friend joe took the gun to the woods and fired the gun and the next day they heard a man got shot on the radio.what happen in the book was basicly no one was honest and everyone was liening about what they saw and if they did anything like when mike found out he killed chalie ward he didnt turn h... (more »)

Josh replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:50 am :
true          

Kendra replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:52 am :
Noi didnt copy off yours i had mine first and yours ok but mine better!