Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris | Teen Ink

Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris

June 22, 2011
By Ambrose BRONZE, Palm City, Florida
Ambrose BRONZE, Palm City, Florida
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Do hard things,as I said the words to myself. I had only one question are there really teens out there doing these "hard things". I couldn't walk away now the book had me in its captive hold. As I began reading I noticed these guys were the real deal! At age 16 the twin brothers were invited to apply for an internship at the Alabama Supreme Court. A far cry from carefree, lazy summers. As I continued to read it was brought to my attention what they called "The Myth of Adolescence", they described it as an elephant. When its a child to keep it from running away the owners would chain its legs to a strong tree, it would try and try to break the bonds but alas no progress. As the elephant grows older the owners replace the steel chains and reduce it to just a humble twine, the tree to a small post. What? I was thinking how can the elephant not understand that with one move he can be free! Its because the steel chains are still around its mind. The same sanrio is for teenagers, we are trapped by this "low standard" that is now considered the norm for the adolescence years! Teens can accomplish great things, but why is it that teenagers today aren't expetced to care and not do anything when some of the founding fathers of this country were generals in the army etc. by the same age as you and me? Its because of the expetcations that were placed on them compared to the ones that are upon teenagers alike today! The word "teenager" wasn't even invented until a Reader's Digest magazine in 1941. Before back in Washington's day it went straight from child to adult. By the age of 13 you were to be a respetcable contribution to society and went in as an intern or the war. Now people look down on teenagers, most adults don't even expetc that we can carry on a intelligent conversation with them. We are expetced to be careless unless we change our outlook on this matter we will continue to be stuck in this rut! I want to utilize my adolescent years wisely and break the society's "mold" on the average teenager. If you agree you should check this book out.

1 Timothy 4:12

Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.