Slam! by Walter Dean Myers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Walter Dean Myers brings you into the world of Harlem and the struggles of life with his Coretta Scott King Award-winning book, Slam!

Gregory “Slam” Harris is a talented basketball player with big dreams, but he has lots of obstacles to overcome. He also has many choices to make in his life. With the help of his girlfriend, Matisha, his teachers, and his family, Slam just might make it.

Slam lives for basketball and wants to play college ball, but his grades are slipping and his parents do not have enough money to send him to a good school. Although Slam thinks everyone is trying to bring him down, he is determined to show that he is capable of great achievements. Slam wants to prove to all that he can make something of himself and make them all proud. He wants people to know his name and what he is known for, which is basketball. Like Slam says, “Basketball is my life.”

Slam reminds me of myself when he finds out that if he doesn’t bring his grades up, he will have to stop playing basketball. I can relate to this because when my grades were slipping in school, my mother told me that if I didn’t improve soon, I wouldn’t be able to play either.

Myers shows the will power of a young man who will not give up on what he loves most. Slam learns that in order to get what he wants in life, he must let go of some things from his past, like some of his friends including his best friend, Ice, who deals drugs. Slam realizes that he wants to make it out of Harlem one day.

swim4ever said...
i love this book it is a really good book sad at times but really good

Abbey said...
This looks like a really good book. Thanks for reviewing it, I think I might read it in the future.

jybm replied...
Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:33 am :
can you help with questions about the book

Abbey replied...
Jan. 11, 2010 at 2:35 pm :
No, sorry I cant'. I haven't read the book yet because I am pretty busy.

brar.harv replied...
Oct. 25, 2010 at 8:34 pm :
Can someone help me with the theme with the book named Slam by walter Dean Myers

Fyouhaterz replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 11:26 pm :

yes what do u need if u still need it?

TAZZ13 replied...
May 4, 2011 at 10:41 am :

no u aint

I LIKE PIE!!!!! said...
I think that this book sounds very interesting. I will try to read this boo in the future.

iloveparris10 said...
Oct. 26, 2009 at 9:32 am:
this book is outstanding, i love it to the fullest. MY ALL TIME FAVORITE.

bandgeek replied...
Oct. 28, 2009 at 5:08 pm :
does this book have a movie out right now b/c our class is reading it and i wanted to see what the movie would be like

djpimpnasty said...
don't read this book it's shallow and boring

theo_ballplayer replied...
Jan. 5, 2011 at 10:43 pm :
guys shut up...bcuz i kno tht this guy only writes good books...also wateva he wrote was wat he knew happened when he was a kid playin ball....so b quiet!!!!!!!!!

The nameless replied...
Dec. 5, 2011 at 12:00 pm :
Wow you do know that the book isen't about his real life, correct?

stevosucks said...
May 18, 2009 at 11:42 am:
this books the shin diggity

OMG said...
Mar. 31, 2009 at 2:18 am:
THIS BOOK IS LIKE SO FREAKIN AWSOME I LOVE ITTTTT

jjenkins said...
Mar. 27, 2009 at 5:48 pm:
this is a great book

p3n!5 said...
Mar. 17, 2009 at 1:37 pm:
this is an exciting book!

dsgdsgfdf said...
Feb. 20, 2009 at 5:20 pm:
good book

adkfjsakl said...
Feb. 19, 2009 at 8:30 pm:
this is an amazing book!

bigbush5 said...
its a great book.