Slam! by Walter Dean Myers | Teen Ink

Slam! by Walter Dean Myers MAG

Walter Dean Myers brings you into the world of Harlem and the struggles of life with his Coretta Scott King Award-winning book, Slam!

Gregory “Slam” Harris is a talented basketball player with big dreams, but he has lots of obstacles to overcome. He also has many choices to make in his life. With the help of his girlfriend, Matisha, his teachers, and his family, Slam just might make it.

Slam lives for basketball and wants to play college ball, but his grades are slipping and his parents do not have enough money to send him to a good school. Although Slam thinks everyone is trying to bring him down, he is determined to show that he is capable of great achievements. Slam wants to prove to all that he can make something of himself and make them all proud. He wants people to know his name and what he is known for, which is basketball. Like Slam says, “Basketball is my life.”

Slam reminds me of myself when he finds out that if he doesn’t bring his grades up, he will have to stop playing basketball. I can relate to this because when my grades were slipping in school, my mother told me that if I didn’t improve soon, I wouldn’t be able to play either.

Myers shows the will power of a young man who will not give up on what he loves most. Slam learns that in order to get what he wants in life, he must let go of some things from his past, like some of his friends including his best friend, Ice, who deals drugs. Slam realizes that he wants to make it out of Harlem one day.

Tiasofresh said...
Omg I Love this book i Had To Read This For My Book Report For School.!

modles said...
its a great book

pretty thang said...
this book is so goodddddddddddddddd like 4real it is inspiring its off da chain like 4 real i luv it is off the chain yall need to read this im so deads serious

sexy mama said...

if yall dont like the book then y read it if u would read the back of the book 1st than my y would or u would not like it daaa slo don't go slaying  his book like that and don't tell these kids that they have to read it for thereselves so let them read the book and don't be trying 2 be funny

mama said...
if this is a fiction book then u now its a real we have some veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy slow people like otg

firework96 said...
enlighten me.... how did this change your life? 

BRIANNA said...
IT WAS ALRIGHT NOT ALL THAT BUT IT CAN WORK FOR ME FOR 7TH GRADE THIS YEAR

mike said...
on May. 4 2011 at 10:49 am
this book is messed up and crazy and stupid

2yahoo.com said...
on May. 4 2011 at 10:44 am
this is a lammeee book

TAZZ13 said...
on May. 4 2011 at 10:41 am
TAZZ13, CHICAGO, Illinois

no u aint

on May. 4 2011 at 10:35 am
yo,this book is  the best book i eva read and i would lyk to shout out to walte dean meyers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fyouhaterz said...

yes what do u need if u still need it?

Fyouhaterz said...
ur dumb the book is great changed the wat i looked at life n my self u dont know what a real book lookz like forealz..

firework96 said...
wow this site is cool... deleating my post when im just giving my opionion on this stupid book. seroisly this book is the worst book i have ever read there is no pont in it at all

on Mar. 11 2011 at 5:27 am
It changed my life because i go through the same thing slam goes through

chaniaajamez said...
Omqee dhis is crazii...I jus finished readin this bookk nicee jobb

mjrocks said...

this book changed my life i see the world way different now! walter you saved me brother and i thank you for that everyone should read this book it will teach you how to live.

peace out,

G-dog

guys shut up...bcuz i kno tht this guy only writes good books...also wateva he wrote was wat he knew happened when he was a kid playin ball....so b quiet!!!!!!!!!

mikey23 said...
i agree with u :)

jenetta10 said...
this book was very good.!