Slam! by Walter Dean Myers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Walter Dean Myers brings you into the world of Harlem and the struggles of life with his Coretta Scott King Award-winning book, Slam!

Gregory “Slam” Harris is a talented basketball player with big dreams, but he has lots of obstacles to overcome. He also has many choices to make in his life. With the help of his girlfriend, Matisha, his teachers, and his family, Slam just might make it.

Slam lives for basketball and wants to play college ball, but his grades are slipping and his parents do not have enough money to send him to a good school. Although Slam thinks everyone is trying to bring him down, he is determined to show that he is capable of great achievements. Slam wants to prove to all that he can make something of himself and make them all proud. He wants people to know his name and what he is known for, which is basketball. Like Slam says, “Basketball is my life.”

Slam reminds me of myself when he finds out that if he doesn’t bring his grades up, he will have to stop playing basketball. I can relate to this because when my grades were slipping in school, my mother told me that if I didn’t improve soon, I wouldn’t be able to play either.

Myers shows the will power of a young man who will not give up on what he loves most. Slam learns that in order to get what he wants in life, he must let go of some things from his past, like some of his friends including his best friend, Ice, who deals drugs. Slam realizes that he wants to make it out of Harlem one day.

dee rose said...
can anyone help me with my book project?  

#1Pea said...
What a great story. I really like how Slam seems so real. He is also a good guy and we get to see his struggles through tough decisions and even his mistakes.

DuBomber said...
OMFG i did this for my Book Project and dang i freaking love this book

2_Swagged_2 said...
Nov. 3, 2011 at 11:32 am:
This is a good book because it tells how u can succed if u dont give up

titans go 8_28_31 replied...
Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:17 am :
i agree with 2_Swagged_2 and vorrio30

vorrio30 said...
Slam vs Ice dat matchup was so dope yo. I love this book and everything bout it yo. #Salute

MRfunBEEgreenSHOT said...
Oct. 7, 2011 at 9:36 am:
this seems like a good book because I like basketball

hbp1994 said...
Oct. 3, 2011 at 8:40 am:
walter dean meyers is a personal favorite author of mine and i have read most of his books!

Tiasofresh said...
Omg I Love this book i Had To Read This For My Book Report For School.!

matt08074 replied...
Sept. 14, 2011 at 6:18 pm :
where dose slam live and in what time period

pretty thang said...
this book is so goodddddddddddddddd like 4real it is inspiring its off da chain like 4 real i luv it is off the chain yall need to read this im so deads serious

jallia replied...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 7:43 am :
stfu!!

nameless replied...
Dec. 5, 2011 at 11:52 am :
Bro, you sound like a idiot reading this made me want to punch something.

titansgo8_28_31 replied...
Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:51 am :
no , she kinda does'nt sond like an idiot she is just expressing her feelings about the book and personaly i think its good.

sexy mama said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 7:55 pm:

if yall dont like the book then y read it if u would read the back of the book 1st than my y would or u would not like it daaa slo don't go slaying  his book like that and don't tell these kids that they have to read it for thereselves so let them read the book and don't be trying 2 be funny

titansgo8_28_31 replied...
Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:57 am :
thats wat i was going to say 

BRIANNA said...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 3:22 pm:
IT WAS ALRIGHT NOT ALL THAT BUT IT CAN WORK FOR ME FOR 7TH GRADE THIS YEAR

titans go 8_28_31 replied...
Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:28 am :

yeah it helped me with my 10th grade book report

mike said...
May 4, 2011 at 10:49 am:
this book is messed up and crazy and stupid

titans go 8_28_31 replied...
Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:33 am :

i think u stupid dis book is offffffff da chain