Fiery Vision, The Life and Death of John Brown by Clinton Cox | Teen Ink

Fiery Vision, The Life and Death of John Brown by Clinton Cox

By Carly Darnell BRONZE, Elkview, West Virginia
Carly Darnell BRONZE, Elkview, West Virginia

Fiery Vision, The Life and Death of John Brown. Cox, Clinton. New York: Scholastic Press, 1997. 214 pages.

Fiery Vision, The Life and Death of John Brown by Clinton Cox is about John Brown’s fight to liberate the slaves. Cox talks from the time Brown was born, to the time he was hanged in Harpers Ferry, Virginia. All of Brown’s life he concentrated on only the slaves, and how he would free them from bondage. He stated in a church in Connecticut “Here before God, in the presence of these witness, I consecrate my life to the destruction of slavery.” Cox wrote this biography probably to show what the textbooks didn’t.

As I read this biography I felt determined, mad, sad, and surprised. I felt determined, because I was determined for John Brown to liberate the slaves. I was mad because of all of the bad things said about blacks by the pro slavery people. I was sad because of most of Brown’s thirteen kids have died, and lastly I was surprised that John Brown did not make it to the Arsenal. I thought with his determination, and the help from God, he would.

Connections I have with this book is when Brown’s daughter, Ellen had passed away as a newborn, it reminded me of a lady I know whose daughter had passed away at birth as well. Another connection I had with this biography is John Brown fighting for something he believes in. Fighting for something you believe in is very important to me.

I think the most confusing thing about this book is all of the characters. I think that Cox should have limited his characters to only the main ones. Another confusing thing is short book, with ten page chapters.

In conclusion, the theme the theme of this book is “always fight for what you believe in, no matter what gets in your way”. I give Cox’s work a four, it is recommended for people who love slave history, and who believed John Brown was a hero.