Little Brother by Cory Doctorow | Teen Ink

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

May 30, 2011
By gordogre000 BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington
gordogre000 BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The book Little Brother by Cory Doctorow is a very interesting book about what happens after a terrorist attack happens in San Francisco. The main character is Marcus Yallow a 17 year old who gets caught in the madness with his friends during the attack. After the attack the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) runs wild in the city to make it a “safer” place for everyone by locking suspicious people away. Marcus’s friend Darryl wasn’t released after the DHS interrogated all of Marcus’s friends. Marcus vows a way to get Darryl back and he starts an underground movement of young people who want freedom from being watched by the DHS. The DHS creates a system in the town where it is mostly a tracking system for those who have passes to go through the tunnel; it tracks their location on regular street corners. Marcus use’s technology as an advantage by getting people started using Xnet a network system where people can play games and communicate on old Xbox’s.

From there Marcus leads this underground movement unofficially as M1k3y. There are some activities that are planned, one of them being an illegal concert to support their idea’s against the government spying on them. Some media outlets and the government denounce them as terrorists and attempts to crack down on them even harder. Marcus comes up with an idea to create some hassle for the people who aren’t being searched and held up in their schedule by cloning people’s electrical fast passes and printing them on other people’s passes.

Marcus eventually tells his story to a reporter even though he signed a paper to be released by the DHS not to talk. The reporter releases the story after investigating it thoroughly. Marcus gets captured by the DHS shortly after the story is published. The DHS is arrested by the state troopers and then everybody who was arrested and being held was taken to trial to see if they were really guilty or not.