The Secret Life of Bees Review by Sue Monk Kidd | Teen Ink

The Secret Life of Bees Review by Sue Monk Kidd

May 23, 2011
By Anonymous

The Secret Life of Bees
Do you ever wonder who would follow or what you might find if you ran away? The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd lets you into the life of Lily Owens and her outcome of running from what is supposed to be her home. It tells a story of a curious, mistreated girl who just wants to feel loved and find the answers to her mother’s death.
This novel takes you back to a time of deep racism and revolution, back when the Civil Rights Movement was in progress. Lily is a teenage girl searching for the truth and stopping at nothing to get it. She runs away getting away from her bitter, cold-hearted father to find out what she needs to know. Lily brings herself and her companion Rosaleen to the three sisters who change her life.

I would not normally read this book but after a couple chapters I was glad I did. It has plenty twists and surprises and keeps you interested throughout the novel. The Secret Life of Bees is a fantastic novel and great for anyone wanting an inside look at the art of keeping bees and Lily finding herself.



JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.