Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck | Teen Ink

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

By leteresa93 BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington
leteresa93 BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington

John Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men" was a story about 2 companions who have gone through the thicks and thins of life. They dream of owning a farmland, to raise livestock and grow their own food. They begin this dream by working at a ranch in order to save money, until Lennie, a large man who is mentally disabled, commits an unforgettable crime. This crime releases the true characters of Lennie, along with his partner George.

Steinbeck does a great job at using real life situations in order to create a book in which readers can truly relate. For example; he mentions that George threw Lennie in the river when he was younger, telling him to swim even when he didn't know how. This is a classic occurrence in the daily lives of humans. Daddy trying to teach his son how to swim "the real way". Steinbeck also includes the motif of the impossibility of the american dream. This dream farmland was indeed something that was impossible for the two men. Although George knew it was impossible, after repeating the dream to Lennie so many times, he soon believed it. This book can somewhat relate to 1984 by George Orwell. The fact that the human mind, at a certain point, surrenders to dominating forces-repetition being one of them. When someone tells themself something so many times, they soon come to believe that it is the only truth. To Lennie, this dream became his truth.

Being a very simple book to read, I think everyone should read this book some time in their life. It portrays many morals about life and friendship. George and Lennie are the true meaning of what friends are.

I hope that from reading this book, people will learn to appreciate those surrounding them. Because anything can happen at any given moment in any given time. You never know what you had 'til you lose it.