Going Bovine | Teen Ink

Going Bovine

February 8, 2011
By Grace Kyrk BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Grace Kyrk BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

If you had a disease with no cure, would you go on an adventure across America just to find one, or would you just stay home to die? This is the main question in the book Going Bovine. To me, Going Bovine, by Libba Bray, conveys the message, live each day as if it is your last, very well to teenagers.

Going Bovine is the story of how one boy decides to try and find a cure when doctors cant. Going Bovine, by Libba Bray, all Cameron Smith does is slack off. He will do anything to get out of class from swearing his head off to punching the football star. That was before he learned he had Creutzfeldt-Jacobs disease. A disease that eats holes in your brain eventually killing you. It has no cure, or at least that’s what Cameron thought until he met Dulcie, a punk rock, sugar crazed, angel who sends him, his best friend, Gonzo, and a gnome, Balder, on a quest across America. All Cameron has left is a little hope and a pass to Disney world. In the book, Going Bovine, by Libba Bray, the one main theme is live each day like it is your last. What I think this means is you get no seconds chances, so try your hardest on everything you do and find were you need improvements and improve yourself. To me this is the theme because Cameron Smith does not try hard at anything, until he gets sick, and he could die at any moment. This makes him try his hardest to improve himself and become a better person. When he did this, he met his true love Dulcie, his best friend Gonzo, and made amends with his sister Jenna.

I really enjoyed read Going Bovine for two main reasons. One reason I enjoyed this book is because it engages the readers’ imagination. If you can imagine what happens and let go of the fact it would not happen in real life, you would get sucked into the book and love it. The other reason I enjoyed this book is because of the author’s writing style. Libba Bray writes from first person, and I have always enjoyed reading books in the first person because the reader becomes the character. Around the middle of the book, Libba Bray starts alternating between Cameron being in the hospital and him being on his adventure. I found that when she started doing this, it made me read the book closer. I started to read closer to look for clues to see if he was in a coma at the hospital or dreaming wile on his adventure.

This is a great book for readers who like to use their imagination. In Going Bovine there are many things that are obviously fiction. For example the Viking god Balder is a garden gnome, who helps Cameron and Gonzo on their journey. So readers who enjoy straying from reality would highly enjoy this book. I loved this book, and I give it a five out five stars. To all you people who enjoy using your imagination, read Going Bovine, by Libba Bray.

So all in all, this is a great book that is creatively written and enjoyable to read. It also gets across a great message in its theme. The theme is live each day like it is your last. It is a great read for teenagers. If you do read Going Bovine, be on the lookout for parallel universes. For example, Star Wars was called Star Fighter and McDonald’s was called Buddha Burger. So what would you do? Would you go on an adventure across America, or would you stay home? I highly recommend this book to all young adults. I loved this book, and I think anyone who reads it would love it too.