Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah | Teen Ink

Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah

By Moises Meraz BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
Moises Meraz BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

Memoirs of a Boy Soldier

Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah is a heartbreaking and impacting story. The story takes place in Sierra Leone during the Civil War. Ishmael Beah is a boy who was recruited by the Sierra Leone Armed Forces in order to fight off the RUF. The Armed Forces would drug the boys with cocaine, brown brown (cocaine mixed with gunpowder) and pills to give them energy and make them less afraid to kill. In a short amount of time Ishmael had become a killing machine and a drug addict. Ishmael was then taken into rehabilitation by UNICEF a peace organization. After recovery he was chosen to speak of the cruelty caused by the Civil War in Sierra Leone. He moved to New York after he was adopted by a woman he met in the committee.

Although the maturity level of this book is very high, I encourage all who can to read this book and learn of the struggles in Sierra Leone. The author has taken time to write this incredible book that will leave you amazed. Ishmael has gone far back enough into his memory to bring back events that happened even before he became a soldier, making the story much more understandable. This story will leave you having sympathy and remorse for these unfortunate people. It is a great way for you to have an idea of what corruptions conflict diamonds cause in Sierra Leone. I recommend this book to all readers who want to understand the true meaning of pain.