Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick | Teen Ink

Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick

By Sculli15 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Sculli15 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

If you like a realistic fiction book that’s funny, adventurous, and relatable with a touch of sadness, Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie is definitely for you. This book tells the story of Steven, a “normal” middle school boy with a passion for drumming, an annoying little brother, and a very funny personality. During the story, Steven’s life changes radically when his little brother Jeffery is diagnosed with cancer. Throughout the ordeal, Steven must take care of his sick brother, keep up in school, and keep his cool when talking to his crush who suddenly seems to notice him. In the end, Steven learns a thing or two about life and walks away with an experience that, despite its ups and downs, he will never forget.

In my opinion, Jordan Sonnenblick did an amazing job at writing this book. The plot was never boring and the dialogue always showed great expression. Sonnenblick also did a great job at building the characters personality, The witty descriptions from Steven and cute but annoying voice of Jeffery were some of the best. Another great part of the story was the fact that I could relate to a lot of the things Steven went through and I’m sure many others could, too. If I had to recommend this book to a certain type of person, I would say any middle school aged person (boys and girls alike) would enjoy it. I can say that I did, and I will definitely be reading the sequel.