The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By August Bishop BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
August Bishop BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

12 districts, one boy and one girl of the ages of twelve to eighteen from each, battle to their deaths until one kid is left, the victor. “Effie Trinket crosses back to the podium, smoothes the slip of paper, and reads out the name in a clear voice. And it’s not me. It’s Primrose Everdeen.” Suzanne Collins’ main character in The Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen is sixteen years old and lives in district 12, surviving off of what she can find, hunt, and sell off in the market to provide for herself and her mother and sister, Prim. When Prim is chosen as a contender in the Hunger Games, her older sister Katniss volunteers to take her place. Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark (chosen boy tribute from district 12) take on their journey imprisoned by the Capitol as they prepare for the games, and then they are dropped into the arena with nothing but the clothes on their back to try to survive the other 22 tributes experiencing the same thing. There are no rules to this game, but there can only be one winner, and the only way to win is if everyone else is dead. However, Peeta lets out his deep secret, that gives him an edge to the games. Twists and turns change the games and Katniss can’t bring herself to kill the boy with the bread, but she knows she must if she wants to go home.

Everyone will fall for Collins’ story! I felt that almost every chapter had a suspenseful moment and left you with questions and thoughts, cliffhangers at the end of each. The beginning of the book was well-written and great at pulling you in. The first chapter told you a lot about the background to inform the reader about the character and the setting. One thing I thought about the plot line of this book was I couldn’t tell where the climax was, with all the big events happening throughout the novel; it was hard to tell what the biggest action was, although this wasn’t a problem for me. This book had me reading every chance I could get with all the action that was taking place throughout every chapter. There was suspense, action, drama, and romance, no reason to try and put it down. Everyone should try this novel, it’s awesome. I have to get my hands on the second and third!