Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spenelli | Teen Ink

Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spenelli

By Cheyenne Silva BRONZE, Prosser, Washington
Cheyenne Silva BRONZE, Prosser, Washington

Sixteen year old Stargirl (aka Susan Caraway) is growing up in a small peaceful town. Trying to figure out how to move on and live without her ex-boyfriend Leo. Through her journey with out Leo she meets a little girl Dootsie who soon becomes her new best friend. Stargirl and Dootsie meet new people and new friends, while Stargirl writes in her notebook to Leo, who will never sadly read her letters.

When Stargirl thinks it’s horrible that she can’t see Leo anymore something happens that almost makes her forget about Leo and is close to moving on to someone else. Jerry Spenelli, the author makes the reader think, is loosing someone that you love the end or a new beginning of something different? While Stargirl is in a fog, confused on what she should do, she has Dootsie and her other friends she meets along the way in her journey help her out. Stargirl is still heartbroken about her and Leos break up so she writes to her self and wants an answer to her question… Does he love her? Leo answers “Yes I love you!” Stargirl doesn’t want that answer and says “No, you don’t, that’s not what your heart says, and I want what your heart says!”(224)

Jerry Spenelli writing is pact with characters, detail, emotion and a good plot. Those who like pact books this is a book for those people. Love, Stargirl is a very convincing book, she (Stargirl) is a character just like a real person. This book compare to the real world. Stargirl also has a friend who is just like a character in the book Milkweed. Perry from Love, Stargirl steals and is a trouble maker. Just like a little boy from “Milkweed.” Someone who likes teen girly books should read Love, Stargirl. This is defiantly an enjoyable book!