Dragons of Darkness by Antonio Michaelis | Teen Ink

Dragons of Darkness by Antonio Michaelis

January 10, 2011
By Abigail Stutzman BRONZE, Prosser, Washington
Abigail Stutzman BRONZE, Prosser, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Fourteen year old Christopher Hagedorn of Germany is no one special. While Christopher is unseen and “invisible” at school, his older brother Arne is the most popular and loved by everyone. When his brother goes missing during a walk up in the mountains of Nepal, Christopher ventures deep into the mountains within his dreams in search of his long lost brother. At this time he meets Jumar the invisible crown prince of Nepal. Together they walk through many dangers and near death experiences such as when Christopher had almost died, or when Jumar went to the cave of the dragon to fight for his freedom. But, do they remain faithful towards each other? This is young adult fiction novel with an unrealistic twist like dragons made of butterflies.
Dragons of Darkness really shows that with faithfulness, you can overcome anything. In order to live the boys know they have to stick together and remain faithful to each other. To ensure this, Christopher pledges to Jumar in the chill of the snowy mountains after they got into an argument, “And I promise not to leave you alone. Even if I find Arne. I’ll help you with finding the base camp and…and everything else that happens” (187). Throughout the pages of this book, the reader experiences the characters emotions and sees how the character grows up.
Dragons of Darkness is somewhat similar to the fantastic Kingdoms series by Chuck Black. They’re only similar in some (not many) ways. They both would be recommended for readers who love adventure and faithfulness, but only Dragons of Darkness is meant for Challengers who would want to take the risk of reading this book which could cause drowsiness and boredom because there was a survey taken on two people. The survey resulted in the two out of two people tested who read this book had occurred drowsiness and boredom. This novel was written with a lot of description and fast paced chapters. Although there’s always something new happening to Christopher and Jumar, it’s hard to understand what the reader is interpreting.