Lord of the Flies by William Golding

LORD OF THE FLIES

The idea of civilization is completely shattered in the Lord of the Flies as if civilization never existed. The element of fear causes the island to be uncivilized, unsystematic, and unorganized. The beast, bullies and the act of irresponsibility cause a lot of fear in the boys, especially in the littluns…who are the youngest of the boys.
Jack for instance, cares only about hunting to kill the biggest animal; he’s hunting for enjoyment and to be a show-off. Not for the sake of survival or to demolish the hunger in the stranded boys. Jack is so consumed in hunting that he forgets about tending the fire, and the fire burns out of control. This act of irresponsibility claims a young boy’s life.
The bullying of Piggy starts out as name-calling and minor teasing ends results in the death of Piggy. Piggy was teased because he was overweight with asthma wore glasses, and was harassed because he took his aunts words of wisdom to attempt to get through sticky situation. In the end Piggy unfortunately lost, meaning a falling boulder that was pushed down a mountain by Jack killed him.
These are just a few of the many examples of how the fragility of civilization lost against the destructive force of fear. The overall sight of the island was uncivilized, unsystematic, unorganized, and above all dangerous.