The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

lovelauren3 said...
I read this book as an assignment for English, so I was forced to finish. I was instantly interested by her precise descriptions of everything she wrote about, but was by all means, completely dissapointed by the ending. It left you wondering in a terrible way, and of course, there's no sequel.
Shabanana replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 10:55 am
i felt the same way. I also read it in English class in 7th grade and loved the book i just really wish there was a better ending Gathering Blue and The Messanger are not an ending.
Ang1217 replied...
You're supposed to feel lost - in real life you never know what your outcome it - some people think Jonas died, some people think he made it out, some people think he went crazy - if you re-read the book, you will have a different opinion of what happens everything, and that's what makes it awesome because not everything in life is so easy to interpret
Shabanana replied...
agreed! My teacher said that she read it over 14 times and every time she gets a different perspective
Duckie430 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
the giver isn't a bad book; actually, it makes you really think, unlike alot of other books
Ruby H. said...
I think this book, while it might have been slightly predictable at times, sent a strong message. If you read her book The Messenger you will learn more about Jonas. I think this review was very well written however. Nice job.
ErikaAburame said...
I disagree 100% with this review. I read this book when I was in 7th grade and absolutely fell in love with it. It compelled me to read on to the next two books that tie in with this one and I absolutely loved it. I wished that there was more to this interesting story; Lois Lowry is an amazing author to all.
sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 10:33 am
I think that this book is amazing. It was disturbing, but I disagree that it was a waste of time. It was deep and a warning to our society. i like the fact that the book was cryptically written, becasue Lois Lowry leaves it up to the reader to figure things out. It isn't too hard as long as you are attentive through the whole thing. The only part I was frustrated with is the ending becasue it leaves it to your own interpertation.
MisplacedTexan14 replied...
I agree that it was a warning. It shows how it would be if everyone was perfectly equal and there was no creativity. It was written beautifully and made everyone in my class think.
Olderatheart said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 10:20 am
I disagree completley
this book was deep and although crypticly wriitten, was great.
Suavell N. said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 8:16 am
this was the best book i ever read great writing great plot all around great book
logo24 said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 6:20 am
they are making a movie for this soon. I didn't like this book either and I thought it was almost disturbing. I too had to read it for school.
Butterfly12 replied...
Apr. 28, 2010 at 7:53 am

If you thought this book was disturbing, then you might as well stop reading books altogether as you'll never be able to handle other books that are far more disturbing than this, which is not disturbing.

The book is just too sophisticated for you.

zoomboomfly said...
Feb. 21, 2010 at 11:23 am
I really liked this book. I didn't like the ending, but the rest of the book was really well written and captivating
XenonG replied...
Feb. 24, 2010 at 5:59 am
yeah, the ending made no sense what-so-ever.
juicyfan6 said...
I read this book awhile ago for school. I liked it; it had great movie potential.
hootowl4 said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 7:11 am
i thoght the book was great. i liked the ending though it might bother some who want and ending that tells exactly what happens. nice writing though!
adristar96 said...
In a way i disagree with you. I read it and thought it was very decent and well written. But in some parts were confusing. other than that, it was good.
Alyssathenerd:D said...
I have to disagree with this review. In my opinion, I thought the giver was a fairly decent book. Even though some of the book was predictable, I still believe it was great book because of the strong message given off by this book.
nbmssi said...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 10:31 am
i loved this book.... it actually made you think just like the rest of her books.
Sara! said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 10:10 am
I respectfully disagree with this article. I love this book adn have read it many times.