The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

DarkMountain said...
You call the book dreadful, a waste of time, and the worst book you have ever read.  I cannot say how completely I disagree with you. This book is deep, profound, and powerful

SillySarah replied...
I agree with you, this book was very deep. I actually enjoyed.

MAX!! said...

I think that the giver was a book that the author wanted to make people open their eyes. I read it in my class, and my teacher and i disagreed on alot of the subjects. i think that the way he adressed ti issues he wanted to expose was interesting, but all those subject are not really appriate for all ages.

the giver had alot of nasty things in it that made me sick. i didnt sleep well, after the release of the twin, and when me and my mother talked about it. i then knew that that happen... (more »)

xAllegria said...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 9:00 am

I didn't like the Giver either! Not the worst book I've ever read, I'd say, but definitely a disappointment. The plot and setting were interesting but Lois Lowry didn't use them as well as he could have, which is a pity. The ending isn't very satisfying either. Open endings are fine sometimes, but in this case the author gave no indication that Jonas's job was finished or succesful, and it makes the story seem a bit useless.

The Giver is not very thought-provoking, unless you are an en... (more »)

DiamondsIntheGrass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 18, 2010 at 8:29 am
um... lois lowry is a she. but i agree. i didn't quite grasp the symbolism that many people talk about. the idea was good, but not well conveyed.

kaddancer said...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 8:37 am
Personally, I really disagree with you. My AIG class read this together, and we really took it to a deep level, talking about what the stuff might mean. The "Community" as they call it (I think), is an atempt at an Utopia, or a perfect world. The book goes to show that nothing can be perfect, because if it is, it really isn't perfect.

WritingLoverForever said...

Personally, I have to say I disagree with you. I thought The Giver was a very captivating book. Some of the significant plot points were perplexing, and the very end left me completely lost, but the overall story was impressive.

It was not the best book I've ever read (it probably would not be on my Top 10 list), but it was obviously better than the book Anthem, another story of the same general concept as The Giver. Both are stories of a dystopian society in which one person breaks aw... (more »)

Mandy H. said...

Personally, I thought that The Giver was thought provoking. Depressing at times, but thought provoking.

The way Lois Lowry wrote it was well done, but the idea-the plot-of The Giver was what I found most interesting. 

Simply because it was something new for me, it would be 3.5 stars on a scale of 1-5.

fahreekin-crazy said...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 11:59 am
I *definitely* have to disagree with you! The Giver was truly one of the best books I've ever read. The symbolism was masterful. Lois Lowry= AWESOME :D

smaek94 said...
The Giver is not at all horrible the author gives several great ideas and themes. The end did not suck at all the author simply wants you to end the book yourself and show your creative side. He simply lets you decide how you want the book to end.

lszyman96 said...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 11:27 am
i dont think the book is terrible, but in my opinion i didnt like, and niether did anyone else in my class

Stargirl212 said...
I don't think that's really fair. Maybe it's no Shakespeare or Jane Austen, but it's interesting and actually quite intellectual. I read it for school, and it posed some interesting disscusions and questions. It's a great book that really makes you consider life and the emotions we experience living it.

AnneOnnimous said...
sure, it was a little predictable, but it was still exceptional. It dealt with big themes and was well-written. You shouldn't say bad things about it just because you didn't understand it.

Imaginedangerous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I don't think it was the worst book I ever read, but I didn't like it either. There wasn't much action and it really was a little predictable. (For example -Spoiler Alert- I figured out about ten pages in that 'released' actually meant 'killed'.)

Lilacs_Smell_Wonnerful This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 1, 2010 at 9:52 am

Lol, yeah, I figured out what "released" meant almost right away too, but it still shocked me to find out I was right.

-Lilac

Anna3 said...
I read The Giver for school with our class and Ill have to disagree with most of you. This book, though not my type, was very interesting and well written. I liked the way the author put things and how they made the world for Jonas so trouble-free. Though I wouldnt like to live in a world like that (at all), I thought that over all it was a good way to showing that our world has SO many problems. The only thing that I didnt like about the book/could have been better, was the end... (more »)

celloizmylife said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:12 am
Unfortunately I have to read this over the summer for school. Yuck. But did you know there's a lot of symbolism to Communism? That's at least a little interesting that the author has some figurative language like that. But then, I haven't read it yet, so I don't know what it'll be like.

Thrush said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:04 am
I thought the Giver showed a lot of interesting points, and that book scared me, so I disagree completely.  This review could be better by adding proof, becasue I do not see any predictable parts.

cait19 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:20 am
This review has a few biases that a good critic would not include. For example, you said that after the first chapter you were disgusted. Well, then you admit aproaching the book expecting it to be bad. Writing a good review and being a good critic involves being objective and open. I hope that helps! Keep writing you're getting there

thetiedyecrayon said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:06 am
First off, The Giver wasn't a compelling, stay-up-till-midnight read, but it wasn't dull and predictable. And how exactly is it dreadful? You're just saying these things with no evidence to back it up. To people who have never read the book, you're not helping them by just saying it was dreadful.

Slushi said...

*a *phenomenon

How do I edit/delete a comment? Thanks.