The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

twilight_teen14 said...
Jun. 2, 2010 at 3:03 pm:
It was an interesting book to read so I will not agree with you on that point. Otherwise, I did NOT like this book because it was disturbing on so many levels. The whole thing with 'releasing' was so wrong! Plus, a community with no wrongs, MADE A HUGE WRONG! It didn't give people choices or let them see in color. Except for Jonas, Gabriel, and The Giver. I'll agree with you there. And it was confusing, especially the end.

TortelliniPen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 10:13 am :
But don't you think that that was the point?  Isn't this supposed to be a dystopia?

twilight_teen14 replied...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 6:44 pm :
to the readers, yes, to the characters (except Jonas later), no.

Vexa_Rave replied...
Jul. 6, 2010 at 6:32 am :
That's the point of the book.  If you think that's bad read Lord of the Flies.  It's ten times scarier.  And dystopia books are supposed to be creepy.  They're supposed to make you think about the future and what could happen.  I personally don't think this book is any more "wrong" than the Uglies series (another dystopia book).  Both books are fantastic to me, and that's simply the point of the book.  They're not meant to fill you with butterflies ... (more »)

CaityBug said...
May 22, 2010 at 10:47 pm:
I actually really liked this book and, while I understand that people hae different tastes in literature, I believe you were a bit harsh.

Spoiled-Chicken replied...
May 31, 2010 at 6:34 am :
yeah i agree. but it still was a good review

tiredandhungry(: said...
May 22, 2010 at 10:25 pm:
I can understand why you would find this book confusing, but I don't think that it was "dull and predictable".  The author had some very unique ideas of how this society was ran.  I admit, it wasn't the most gripping book, but it is definately a very fine piece of literature.  It's just a matter of understanding what the author was trying to say (moral terms and such).  Not very many people liked it that I know of, and it wasn't a book that I would call my favorite, but I thi... (more »)

Ramzan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 22, 2010 at 4:05 pm:
I didn't like this book all that much either. I understood it, and it made sense, but it was just so...boring. The idea seemed so bland and cliche.

Eilatan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 22, 2010 at 2:47 pm:
it was of the future. it doesn't have to make sense.

AwesomeNewt said...
May 22, 2010 at 11:43 am:
i loved this book. its one of my favorite books, sorry you didn't like it

LoneEarthWolf said...
May 21, 2010 at 12:11 pm:
I really enjoed the book, it has a deep meaning to it all the way to the end. It really makes you think about life...

Liozay123 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 22, 2010 at 10:57 pm :
Yes!  Exactly!

charzard said...
May 20, 2010 at 9:37 am:
i really enjoyed this book! it was captivating and interesting. i'm sorry you didn't enjoy it because you're missing out on a great piece of literature.

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 8, 2010 at 8:46 am:
I loved this book.  The words are simple, but there is so much hidden behind them.  I advise you to take a closer look at the true meaning of this book.

deJoisey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 6, 2010 at 9:19 pm:
I picked up The Giver a few years back.  It is an intriguing book. It picks at your subconscious. Reading it, you feel that there is more to it - a spiritual side - hanging just outside the periphery of your understanding.  The man on the cover reminds me of Willie Nelson.  

ThisIsMyScreenName said...
May 5, 2010 at 12:02 pm:
Also, i noticed 90% of all the negative comments toward this book are people who didn't understand and/or take the time to finish. And would a little grammar/spelling hurt too?

tiredandhungry replied...
May 22, 2010 at 10:27 pm :
I think that pretty much summed up the problem :)  I fully agree.

ThisIsMyScreenName said...
May 5, 2010 at 11:58 am:
Honestly, this book was satisfyingly good. I found that you didn't understand the book fully for what its worth. Also, what do you dislike that makes each page for dreadful? Each page gets deeper into the storyline...page by page you learn more about this mysterious society. A "perfect" society, close to pure communism in a way.

bokworm said...
May 5, 2010 at 11:57 am:
i loved it you just need an openmind to fully under stand it.

johndeerelover said...
May 5, 2010 at 11:49 am:
This book was confusing and boreing

Darley said...
Really? I loved this book. for me it was hard to understand at the begging but then I really started to like it! Have you ever read the outsiders? I think you would like it. I recomend it. :)