The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Lilies said...
wow. i actually really liked this book. just goes to show how much opinions differ.

drmstarlet21 said...
I agree that this person didn't say why it was bad with much clarity. I read it in middle school in English class and my whole grade hated it, as does most of my school. It's been years, so I don't remember now why I didn't like it, just that I didn't. However, if you think The Giver is bad, try reading A Separate Peace. Now there's a horrible "classic"

Emiline! ^-^ replied...
A Separate Piece? I started that last year (because it was on my classroom shelf), thinking it would be good, and then gave up after page 7 because the guy was just wandering around doing nothing. :(

drmstarlet21 replied...
Mar. 5, 2011 at 10:01 am
My English class read A Separate Peace earlier this year, except no one finished the book. I stopped at like page 20. Our essays at the end of the unit were ALL on why it should be removed from the curriculum, at our teacher's suggestion :)

Emiline! ^-^ replied...
Haha, you're lucky, we read An Enemy of the People last year (it was a play), and everyone was saying it should be removed. Only we couldn't write essays on it, because it was the writing teacher's favorite book. :)

drmstarlet21 replied...

Haha nice, what is that about? I've never heard of it.

And my English teacher is all about creative project ideas. We're starting our projects for Macbeth right now, and everyone had to come up with their own. Mine is a literary magazine. I am writing little pieces and saying they are "by" a few of the characters. I wonder where I got *that* idea...thank you, Teen Ink!

the_critic_is_in said...
I've never read this book, but I can't really tell whether it's good or bad because you never really gave a reason as to why the book was subpar. You can't just say that it was the worst book ever because it was mediocre and it was mediocre because it was the worst book ever. I appreciate your opinion though. :)

flyingpinkgiraffes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

thought it was amazing.  i read the sequel too.  i guess its an either you love it or hate it kinda thing....

and i know the ending was weird, but she wrote it like that to make it more interesting,  and leave you guessing.  I personally admired the ending

Greenshortz said...
This may have been the worst book of all time !!!!

InvisibleNerdGirl said...

I just finished this book less than twenty minutes ago, and I personally loved it. It was strange and thought-provoking, and I really like books like that.

I can see why you might have disliked the ending, but Lois Lowry made it vague on purpose, so readers could imagine Jonas's and Gabe's fate for themselves.

Aspiringauhor said...
Feb. 26, 2011 at 9:17 am
I'm sorry, I just don't see how you can think this book was that bad! I personally love it and read it every 2 months. Oh, and you didn't give any reasons as to why you thought it dissatisfying, so if you could do that next time, then that's great! :)

Kay C. said...
As a lot of people have mentioned, you didn't really have any reasons as to why it was so bad. I am not critizing you for thinking what you do, but more examples would really be helpful.

Curly_Sue said...
How can you say something like that?!? The Giver is one of the best, most thought provoking books I've ever read! I makes you question the very balance of right and wrong and how far we, as a society, will go to achieve perfection!

Vesperstar23 said...
I will have to disagree. When read this in school I loved it, considering the boring things I usually have to read. It's a very interesting concept and I didn't find it too pretdictable. I understand if you didn't enjoy the book, i'm simply stating my opinion. I have read it two times after reading it in school and never get tired of it. The beginning starts off slightly slow but i found it a very moving, wonderful book! I would recommend it to anyone!

RixxRebellion said...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:25 am

I will have to disagree. I had to read this book for my Psychology class, and I loved it. Sure, the ending was kind of ehhh, but I still thought it was a great read.

I understood what was going on. Maybe that's where your problem was?

Anyways, we had to read it and I have read it twice after that just because I thought it was really good.

gloriasinferno37 said...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:24 am
I tottaly agree with BlissfulyMe , I had to read this book for school and it was a waste of time! I preety much knew how the book would end by the end of the first chapter. The charictors are unimaginitve, Jonas seemed extreamly slow, and the plot was dull. All though Lois Lowry is a wonderful writer and I love some of her other books, The Giver was a total flop.

FmsAnonymous said...
I have to disagree. Everyone has opinions and I seemed to like it. I found it very interesting that no one knows colors or anything about their outside world. Their lives are like puppets, controlled. Jonas is given the job as The Giver. He learns about pain, colors, and the outside world. He learns emotions and books that no one is supposed to know.

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm going to disagree. Lois Lowry is a wonderful writer, and it is most obvious, of all her books, in The Giver. It is thought-provoking, haunting, and a really good read. I challenge you to read it again with a more open mind.

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Just to clarify, I'm not saying anything against your not liking the book; I know I'm running the risk of stating the obvious, but I'll say it anyway: you are fully entitled to think whatever you want of a book, but I never like people not liking books I love.

VirginieC This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I liked The Giver a lot! When you read it, you have to think hard, it's not the type of thing you just read page after page of. I think 1984 is a similar book and it's much more popular, but The Giver is much better! It seems dull, but not if you think.