Mistwood by Leah Cypess | Teen Ink

Mistwood by Leah Cypess

By gbubookreviews PLATINUM, Palmyra, Pennsylvania
gbubookreviews PLATINUM, Palmyra, Pennsylvania

In a world where sorcerers and kings walk, there is the legend of the Shifter. It is said to be formed from the mist and fog and can choose to change forms. For centuries its purpose has been to protect the royal family at the cost of her life, returning to her home, Mistwood, in times of peace. When Prince Rokan summons Isabel from Mistwood, she cannot remember anything. So without any choice she keeps to the loyalty she has known from the beginning. But Isabel has a problem not only does she not remember anything, she cannot shift. Secrets pile up between the king and his Shifter. When one is revealed everything comes crashing down. Isabel must decide where her loyalties lie and who exactly she is while facing the dangers that come with being an immortal bodyguard.

This novel was an exciting, unique read that I enjoyed thoroughly. It was very different from the average paranormal novel. It first and foremost did not have romance as a main focus. But surprisingly, as a romantic, this did not bother. I actually preferred it this way. The fantasy aspect was also refreshing because many novels do not contain this. The time period it took place is one I have been interested in years. I have always loved kings, princesses, knights, castles. But if you do not like period novels this story is not for you. I would like to commend Cypess on is writing a single novel. It seems lately everything I read has at least one sequel if not more. Don’t get me wrong I love series, but I think it takes a lot more talent to write a stand-alone novel that has enough of a plotline to keep you reading but does not leave too many unanswered questions. In Mistwood it was very well done.

One of the things I love best about period novels are the dialect; big words and fancy wording. I found several line of dialogue to be a bit modern to flow in this setting. This, for me, took away from melodic flow of Middle Ages’ speech. One thing I never take too much notice in is the titles of books. But for some reason this one bothered me. I can’t be too critical because whenever I have to title something I cringe but the title “Mistwood” had little to do with the novel or plotline. Only three scenes (chapters) took place here. I feel another title may have been more appropriate.