House of Night Series by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast | Teen Ink

House of Night Series by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast

By gbubookreviews PLATINUM, Palmyra, Pennsylvania
gbubookreviews PLATINUM, Palmyra, Pennsylvania

Zoey is just a normal girl until one day after school she is Marked. Marked to be a fledgling where in the next four years she will either turn into a gorgeous full grown vampire or she will die in the changing process. While dealing with be the new kid in the elite school, her mom and step-dad’s disgust with what she’s become and the popular queen bee who can be quite the beeoch, she discovers she’s a standout among the fledglings. Her crescent mark is filled in, like an adult vampire, yet she is still a fledgling. Zoey realizes that that the Goddess has chosen her specifically for a job. She just not sure what that is yet. Follow Zoey on her journey through school, boyfriends, death, affinities, war, betrayal, and friendship.

To start I had a love-hate relationship with these books. I’ve heard really great things about them but when I read the first book in the spring I was sadly disappointed. But I decided I would give there series another try. So I really tried to like the books but the really weren’t that incredible and I only made it to book four. But here’s more specifically what I thought about it.

Zoey and her friends are funny and very relatable. They really made the story readable. They had a really interesting dynamic together that made me want to be their friend too. Stevie Rae is southern bell with quite a sense of humor and a “mother hen” outlook. Damon, their openly gay friend, taught me some new words that I’m sure will probably show up in my SATs for which I thank him. Lastly, Zoey, though I wanted to shake her senseless sometimes she really was a strong heroine who dealt with horrible circumstances very realistically, she didn’t pretend she was Super God and made everything perfect again. Because what teenager doesn’t freak out a little when they’re in over their head.

Overall I thought the House of Night series was lacking in maturity and action. One thing that drives me crazy in a book is parentheses. I can deal with one or two but one every page, not so much. When a novel is written in first person, like House of Night, I feel there is no need for them especially when your going to say something like this; “I learned it from Star Wars (I know I’m such a geek)”. The novel fell flat in the action department. I wasn’t on the edge of my seat at all. The novel was also a bit predictable. It lacked intrigue, poise and overall sophistication. I felt like it was more written for middle grade. The only thing that made it YA was the swear words and occasional sexual references. Though it was nothing inappropriate and I would say middle grades could read it.

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

i agree with you.. and what do rituals have to do with vampires(vampyres)? should not it be in harry potter? (i havent read a single book about harry potter but i know they are like witches and rituals are for them--not for zoey)!

and it gets boring and boring as the story progresses.. because agter one book, youll have to wait for about 5-6 months for the next book..! each book should be a finished book... 

and its kind of corny... lesss action more talk.. i agree..

and looks like zoey will never ever lose a man.. if ever, that man will have a substitute anyway..

BriBear BRONZE said...
BriBear BRONZE, LaFayette, Georgia

If i was perfect they'd have to redifine the words

Thumbs up to u! if u liked thi ull love the vampire acadimy books

MysticWater GOLD, Sandy, Utah

i love how people say water has no taste... it tastes like water!

i agree i love all the books, i do see how you would think that though. but yet if you take into perspective of where Zoey was coming from as well as the authors pointof view of the story. you can really get into it. i literally cried in the second one. all the book i can proudly say i bought and finished the same day. i keep my mind open to it, yet some people can't get into it. so either way i respect your opinion.

BriBear BRONZE said...
BriBear BRONZE, LaFayette, Georgia

i love all of the books so far

Olivea said...
Olivea, Tottenham, Other

The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body. After all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind.
--
Francois de la Roche Foucauld

I enjoyed the first few novels, but as the plot progressed into the later books they became more and more ludicrous.