The Iliad by Homer | Teen Ink

The Iliad by Homer

By Thebookgirl7 BRONZE, New York, New York
Thebookgirl7 BRONZE, New York, New York

The pool, the beach, ice cream cones, and....the Iliad? Um, one of these things is not like the others.
.
Yes guys, it's that time. Summer reading time. My school assigned the Iliad of Homer this year, and yes, it does sound pretty dreadful. But actually, (shockingly) I'm getting pretty into it. It does help that the cast of Troy-a movie that came out in 2004 that is pretty much based on the Iliad-had a beautiful cast of male leads that recite the verses to me in my head as I read. Don't know what I'm talking about? See Orlando Bloom and Brad Pitt.
.
I'm enjoying the characters, too. We have....
Achilles, the half-god, half human heart throb.
Agamemnon, the womanizer that I can't stand.
Helen, the cheater who started this whole mess.
Menelaus, the poor guy who just doesn't win, no matter how hard he tries.
Paris (also called Alexander), the charming prince of Troy who stole Helen away.
A cast of plotting gods and goddesses-Zeus, Athena, Aphrodite, etc....
And many, many more.
.
It's funny how the Iliad pretty much covers the daily drama of every day life. In fact, it even touches the issues of being a teen. See cheating girlfriends, popular jerks, the hot guy with a good heart, and the green-eyed monster. Jealousy. Who would've thought that Homer had all of these scandalous ideas in him? I sure didn't.
.
It's true that I probably wouldn't have picked up the Iliad before this summer. I mean, the thought wouldn't have even crossed my mind. Now, after reading only seventy pages, I'm caught up in a vicious war between the Trojans and Spartans, and I have to see what happens. Just call it the new Twilight. Except, I'm not quite sure if I'm Team Troy or Team Sparta. As for Helen, she's such a Bella. Why can't she just make up her mind?

This is a post from my review blog:
http://thebookgirlreads.blogspot.com/