Willow: It's Hard To Keep A Secret When It's Written All Over Your Body by Julia Hoban

Julia Hoban is an author that I haven’t read much of, but if all her work is like Willow, I’m sure I’ll enjoy them all. Willow is hard to describe. Heart-warming, touching, and intense are all a few words that can only begin to describe Willow.
Willow, a 17 year old girl, has a lot on her conscience. She has lost her parents in a tragic accident that she holds herself responsible for. She feels that the only way to cope with the pain is by cutting herself, keeping it a secret from all those around her. She does a good job of this until she meets Guy, a boy who seems to have his whole life in place. After Willow meets Guy, she must deal with conflicting emotions that she has tried so long to suppress.
The beginning of the story is a little hard to follow at times only because it drags on a bit. Other than that, the book is very well written. The plot remained consistent throughout the book adding to the ease of reading. At points in this book, I found myself cringing at the author’s description of how Willow would self mutilate herself. By the end of the book, I was disappointed that the book had come to an end. It left me wanting the story to continue and just anticipating more.
Overall, I enjoyed this book and I highly recommend this book. I don’t suggest you read this book if you don’t like “provocative” books. Willow has a few strong themes that may not be suitable for all people. When I finally put this book down, I felt like I had helped Willow overcome her struggles just by reading her story.

Scenie_Beanie said...
what websites can you read the  book  Willow by Julia Hoban for free online without any dowloading.

ZombieCupcakes said...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 12:41 am
Thank you so much. :) I'm glad you all liked my first review.

aks_5 said...
Willow was an amazing book and your review just wanted me to read it again! (:

Julia H replied...

Thank you so much for your lovely comment, Adrian, and best of luck with your own writing!

Julia H

Francesca said...
This is one of my favorite books, and the review was very well written. Nice job!

Julia H replied...

Thank you too Francesca! You have no idea how much it means to an author to hear that somebody considers their book one of their favorites! I'm so pleased it spoke to you....  And to Miss Zombie Cupcakes (love the name!!) Thank you for the very positive (and well written) review!

Julia H