The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks | Teen Ink

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

June 11, 2010
By Likenadine BRONZE, White Plains, New York
Likenadine BRONZE, White Plains, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Sometimes you have to be
apart from the people you love, but that doesn't make you love them any less. Sometimes it makes you love them more.” This quote is from The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks, Ronnie (Veronica) relates to this quote because when her and Will couldn’t be together she didn’t stop loving him, she loved him more because she knew that he wouldn’t stop loving her.

The theme of this book is that you don’t know what you have till’ it’s gone, this is true because Ronnie lost many people in the process of learning who she really is, but it’s part of life and she had to live through it.

Ronnie (Veronica) and her
brother Jonah go to their dad’s house for the summer in Wilmington, Virginia. Ronnie isn’t interested in anything she just wants to go back home. Her dad had left when she was little and she had been avoiding him for a long time. When she got to Wilmington she didn’t talk to him and when she did she yelled at him because he was playing the piano and she hated the piano. The night she got there she went to a carnival on the beach and met Blaze, a weird girl wearing all black (just like Ronnie) and they start talking. She meets a boy named Will Blakelee while he is playing
volleyball and he bumps into Ronnie and spills her drink on her clothes. Will shows that he likes Ronnie but she isn’t interested. As time passes they spend more time together and become closer. Ronnie finds something out from Ashley (Will’s ex-girlfriend) and gets really hurt. Is this just another summer relationship, or is Will really serious about Ronnie?

I think that Nicholas Sparks writing style is vivid and realistic; it makes you feel like you are actually there with the characters, not just reading a book. Like when Ronnie and Will were at the wedding I felt like I was there with them. The characters in The Last Song are interesting, whenever they argue the story keeps you hooked on, like when Will and Ronnie argued about Will going to college I wanted to keep reading so I would know what happened next. The conflict is exciting because it’s not really predictable you wouldn’t think that some summer romance would actually last and mean something to you like it did to Ronnie and Will.

I can connect to The Last Song because I have lost people I love and not made all right choices but we live and learn, so i move on just like Ronnie did.

I think that anyone can enjoy The Last Song it’s romantic and really touches your heart. This book isn’t really inappropriate for little kids but its best suited for 12 or older. The captivating characters make you feel like you are in the real world talking to these people. It has an exciting plot and a breath-taking ending. I highly recommend this book to anyone that enjoys romance books.