Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By , Springfield, VA
Imagine a world where love is unheard of, where looks are essential, and prostitution is encouraged.

Arthur Golden writes this chilling tale in Memoirs of a Geisha. Although Golden was born and raised in America, he captures the Japanese culture flawlessly. Golden received a degree in Japanese art at Harvard. In fact, to write his book, Golden interviewed many geishas in Japan, including the world-renowned geisha Mineko Iwasaki.

Memoirs of a Geisha is a coming-of-age novel that allows the reader to explore one geisha's journey to the top. Golden is profound in his work, and enriches the reader with the Japanese culture. Readers are left to decide for themselves whether the words “prostitute” and “geisha” are related.

The main character, Sayuri, learns the strategic tactics of a successful geisha, where her mizuage, or virginity, is sold to the highest bidder. She feels extremely uncomfortable with this. Golden eloquently portrays how she is forced to lose her virginity.

Sayuri is forbidden to show love, and thus, acts as a toy for customers. Golden leaves the reader with a sense of gratitude and shows us that we should cherish the lives we possess.

Memoirs of a Geisha will keep you wondering whether true love exists, or if it is all just a beautiful illusion.

BungalowBillPhotography said...
very good! now I have to go get it from the library 

pixiedust15 said...
Thanks for writing your opinion about this book. I've always wanted to read this. So, now I have a better idea on what the book is about.