Twilight by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer MAG

I was never in love with vampires until Twilight came out. I didn’t know it was possible, but Stephenie Meyer changed the stereotypical blood-sucking vampire into a beautiful god-like creature.

In Twilight, an average high school girl, Bella Swan, falls in love with one of the most beautiful boys at her new school, Edward, who happens to be a vampire. What does one call a stunning, mysterious vampire and his stunning, mysterious vampire family? I believe “The Cullens” would suffice.

The author’s style and characters will glue your hands to the book and your eyes to the page. In no time, the book is over. But don’t worry – there are three sequels: New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.

Twilight is well written from Bella’s point of view. It feels as though a movie is playing in your head. If you don’t feel that way, have no fear, the actual movie comes out November 21.

Twilight is such a magnificent book that it was a New York Times bestseller. Who would have thought that the idea for such an astonishing book could come from a dream the author had?

The theme is love conquers all, even the supernatural. Nothing stands in the way of love for Edward and Bella. Or does it?

Meyer’s style of writing will have you wanting to believe that there are gorgeous vampires roaming our world and just hopefully there will be Edwards for all of the girls who have fallen in love with this fictional yet breathtaking character. Since the characters’ love is forbidden, it only makes it better. ­After all, forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.

thebluehour said...
I love Twilight. I hate how famous it's gotten, because now people are reading it because it's popluar. I read it about two months after it came out. My best friend picked it up at Barnes and Noble, and I was officially hooked. I disagree with people who think it's shallow and boring. It's wonderfully written!

Kelly said...
on Jan. 19 2009 at 5:48 am
I love the Twilight series i have already finished all for books. I rember when i was in the book stors and saw twilight i picked it up and read the back of it and thought that because it had Vampiers in it that it was going to be another stupid boring book but boy was i WRONG i sherrly learned to not judge a book by its cover!

destinee said...
Should I tell you how she managed to turn an elegant Dracula into an..ugh...Cullen? By describing Edward as beautiful and god-like every other second. It was worse than annoying. It was pathetic.

Ami said...
on Jan. 10 2009 at 4:28 am
FAIL.

I hate to disagree with your well-written (albeit shallow) review, but I simply must.

This is a dimestore novel. Throw Fabio on the cover with a pretty damsel and you have Twilight.

The characters are cardboard cutouts (using fanfiction terms: Mary Sue's). The plot is virtually nonexistent, thrown into the last third of the book as if it were an afterthought.

Purple prose dominates the writing. Many words are used incorrectly, as if the author kept her pocket thesaurus close at hand.

The descriptions of Edward are unnecessary and the repeated use of "love" just barely masks the fact that this "TRUE LOVE" is actually a sugar-coated lust filled with religious themes of abstinence, which is, of course, a wonderful thing to support, but not with so much sexism hidden beneath it.

Damsel in distress.

Rescuing hero.

Lust.

Lust.

Lust.

The writing has yet another problem: The rules of writing always say "Show, not tell", but here Ms. Meyer continues to tell us things that she refuses to elaborate on in the story.

And of course this gorgeous (and boring) gentleman is so dazzling that the main character must throw herself at him throughout the series. "Sleep with me! Sleep with me!" while he deflects her attempts at seduction.

And finally, honestly, this Edward Cullen does not sound attractive at all. If you pull away the flowery adjectives "inhumanly beautiful, topaz, godlike, Adonis, glowing, sparkling, pale, diamond, dazzling, smoldering, tawny, butterscotch, graceful, catlike", this Edward Cullen is... UNattractive:

White as paper, reddish hair, and yellow eyes.

Bad writing galore in this "novel". ENJOY!

this is an amazing book. Especially for you people who don't really like reading. If you love to read i wholeheartedly suggest GONE WITH THE WIND.

teensytoes said...
people keep saying that all us teens read this book because everyone else is reading it.

well my MOM told me about this book. i didn't even know that it was so famous.

well maby you are right. all teens read this book because everyone else did. but that dosn't count me. i'm 12. not a teen yet.

\you people are like jealus or something. she wrote a book. it was really good. it got famous. everyone read it because they wanted to know what the big fuss was. they liked it.

you get mad. it's STUPID! you guys are like my 9 year old sister. you get mad at the most stupid things ever. we read a book. what is so bad about reading a book?

and someone said that this book made her friend not talk to her anymore.

that is so stupid.

i don't meen to be rude!

it's tarible to lose a friendship.

but how dose a BOOK ruine a friendship?

you should at least say WHY the book ruind your friendship.

what were you fighting over who was cuter? jacob or edward????

you read the book and she didn't want you to?

some friend. lets a book ruin there friendship.

someone also said that vampires were sopposed to be scary.

um.... james isn't scary? the volteri arn't scary.......?

it dosn't matter anyway. stephenie had a dream about edward and bella. they were in a field talking about how he was dangerus and that she shouldn't be with him. and that he was a vampire.

well she decided to right the dream down so she wouldn't forget. she had fun editing it and she wrote a book.

when she had the dream edward was beautiful. she saw a beautiful vampire in a field with a girl.

she saw him as beautiful.

so you see vampires as scary. she sees them as beautiful.

don't vampires need to be beautiful to atract there pray?

and i bet there are some leagons about vampires and they are beautiful.

thats what makes them so scary.

and i thought that twilight was a well written book. i like all the books and thought that breaking dawn was kinda a disappiontment but i still liked it.

eclipse is my favorite.

and whoever said that this book ruined there freindship, please say why. i'm exteamly curios

yelsha11 said...
on Dec. 12 2008 at 2:13 am
cute book

Anonymous said...
on Dec. 10 2008 at 1:35 am
OM Gosh! I am so reading the Twilight series now!

Hannah said...
I've loved the Twilight series before it got so annoyingly famous. Everyone used to tell me Twilight was stupid when they never read it, years ago. And now that its all over MTV everyone acts like they're the biggest fan when they're not.

I am proud to say I MET Stephenie Meyer two years ago, before she got so famous.

Awesome review!! i love the twilight series! at first, i didn't even want to read it cut then i was hooked

zb said...
ok this book is goood i dont really read and i couldnt stop with this boook but pppl are taking it toooo far like falling in love wiht vampired and this book being the only thing in ur life like come on and get a life read the boook but dont live it

This book is an amazing book!! My friends and i have a funny joke about almost every page from every book! i think that stephenie meyer has caused a revolution and that is a good thing because when i read this book it took like ten times for my sister jessica to get my attention. ANd even after she did i looked away and kept reading my book. I have tried to get my little bro into reading it but he says its more of a chick flick and that hed rather not. WHAT A LOSER! Just kidding but yeah great article!!

i love this book its pretty spiffy.

on Nov. 19 2008 at 1:53 am
First, just let me say that whoever doesn't like Twilight is a complete idiot. There I said it. Meyer has created a revolution and if you don't like it, you can comment back to me.

rachel l. said...
i luiv twilight its my favorite series. i hate the fact that im almost done with the series. im starting the host but i dont know what else to read.

behindyou said...
on Nov. 17 2008 at 5:47 am
Well it WAS good entertainment and easy reading for me, but not very much else. It seems the main reason for reading this series is that everyone else is reading it. And Twilight vampires are definitely not the only definition of vampires.

not telling said...
on Nov. 17 2008 at 3:38 am
Dear Author of Twilight, you may think i am going to talk lovely and respectabley about twilight....THINK AGAIN! Hello wake up. please add a little adventure in the first page!!!! and did i mention that your stupid fairy tale made my friend never want to talk to me again! Are you trying to ruin my life? If i were you I would start a new series and make it good by the first sentence. No more quiet settings! More exciting and loud okay? Twilight was the worst thing that ever happen to me because it ruined my dear friendship..." I hope Your Happy "

on Nov. 17 2008 at 12:06 am
i used to be absolutly terrified of vampires!!!!

once i read an artical about vampirs, and i couldn't sleep because i was afraid that a vampire would come in the middle of the night and... eat me, or bite me, or whatever you want to call it.

but now that i have read the seires i'm not sared anymore.

i know edward isn't, and i don't

belive in vampires, but..... oh god! i have fallen in love with a charicter in a book!... great... anyway, ic can't wait untill the movie is in thearters!!! five more days!!!! i will probly go with my freind the day after it comes out.

i'm so exited!!!

great review!!!

tootsierolla said...
Yoooo... Twilight is an amazing book. Instead of having scary blood sucking vampires, it focuses on the romantic story of a beautiful vampire. who some how falls in love with a normal teenage girl. This book makes many teenagers feel like they could be in the position of bella. Who wouldnt want to have a beautiful vampire as a boyfriend?... I would....lol

i have read all of the twilight books and enjoyed all of them. they are so good and stephenie meyer is an amazing author. and just for the record, there are gorgeous vampires roaming the world!!!