Looking for Alaska by John Green | Teen Ink

Looking for Alaska by John Green

By KenzieS BRONZE, Wixom, Michigan
KenzieS BRONZE, Wixom, Michigan

"Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened." Dr. Suess
and
"The wounds of war are not always inflicted by bullets and the killers are not always soilders." Unknow

We all may have that one person in our lives that has left an impression on us. That person, no matter what we go through, will always have that place in our lives. John Green shows Alaska Young in his novel “Looking for Alaska.” Alaska is a drop-dead gorgeous, funny sneaky, messed up girl that ends up leaving a huge impression on Miles Halter a goofy, smart, not so drop-dead gorgeous boy.

Miles Halter is in search for a “Great Perhaps.” That is way he goes to boarding school to find something, that “perhaps.” While he is there he meets Alaska Young who takes him by the hand and shows him how to life his life and find his “Great Perhaps,” even though no one knows what it is.

As John Green’s first novel I was very impressed. You feel as if you’re in the story with all the characters searching for your “Great Perhaps” also. And on the way you learn about all the people that are in your life. I have read other books by John Green and all of them have to do with relationships with others. Through these various novels I have learned the importance of the people around me, friend or foe.

“Looking for Alaska” was a drop-dead good book. I never wanted to put it down as it took me through all the great adventures life has to offer to us. This book will inspire you to start searching for your “Great Perhaps” wherever it may be.

KenzieS BRONZE said...
KenzieS BRONZE, Wixom, Michigan

and

Thank you!

justjulie said...
Great review, it makes me want to read the book.  Love to find out about new and upcoming authors, can't wait for your next review.

KenzieS BRONZE said...
KenzieS BRONZE, Wixom, Michigan

and

Thank you! I did not know that John Green was on the radio, that's interesting. Oh also, I would highly recommed reading his other novels. They are fun and I love all of them.

Oliviaw BRONZE said...
Oliviaw BRONZE, West Cola, South Carolina

“Screwed down for life." ---Iowa Bob, The Hotel New Hampshire

I agree with your review. The book was a very well put message on the search of friendship, and change. I think that the "Great Perhaps", was change, doing something different. Great book, I loved it.

Oh by the way....did you know that John Green is on or was on NPR? I think that once an author gets to speak on National Public Radio, that's it, they've hit it big time. Fame. I'll have to check out some of his other novels...