Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes | Teen Ink

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

By tyler32 BRONZE, Hinton, West Virginia
tyler32 BRONZE, Hinton, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

In Flowers for Algernon, written by Daniel Keyes, is a story of a mentally challenged man wishing to become smart. This man undergoes many tests in a laboratory through the months of March and July.

The characters in this story are Charlie Gordon the mentally challenged man wishing to become smart. Miss Kinnian, Charlies nightclass teacher. Charlies two doctors and scientists Dr. Strauss and Dr. Nemur. Last but not least Algernon the small white lab rat. Algernon is very very smart.

Charlie Gordon hopes everyday for the opportunity to be chosen for an experiment to allow him to become smart. He endures many tests with his doctors to see if he is suited for the operation. Preparing for the operation is also Algernon the small white lab rat. Charlie has tests and mazes to run against Algernon almost everyday. Charlie Gordon becomes very attached to Algernon and they soon become friends.

Daniel Keyes has a wonderful moral and message to this story. Mr. Keyes implies that just because someone isn’t as smart, or as well apt, or different from you doesn’t mean they should be treated differently. They should be treated the same way we are and want to be treated.

All around it was a well put together story. The bond Daniel Keyes put between Charlie and Algernon is very strong. The moral of this story is one everyone should always follow daily. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who would enjoy an interesting story of how one mentally challenged man wanted to be smart.