Stones in Water by Donna Jo Napoli | Teen Ink

Stones in Water by Donna Jo Napoli

In the small town of Mestre, Italy, four young boys are about to be struck by the most terrifying thing of their lives. Nazis are at the peak of overcoming the town, when the boys are away from their hometown.
At the head of the group, due to past records of violence, is Memo. Next to inherit Memo’s glory, is Roberto, who is also the main character. Samuele is a young Jewish friend of Roberto that wishes to tag along for the movie. Sergio is Roberto’s older brother, and was thought to have the most intelligence of the group. Being the eldest, Sergio naturally took charge, and full responsibility of the boys.
They planned to go to Mestre to an American, western movie. Not long after the movie had started, they heard screams of terror and gunshots. Nazis began filling the theater and herding the boys and girls onto trucks outside. Roberto, Samuele, and Memo were soon separated from Sergio, because trucks were divided by different age groups.
It is a well proven fact, that friendship can go a long ways. Roberto and Samuele learned that friendship is the key to survival. Having good friends, and sticking with them when times get rough, might just save your life.
Stones in Water by Donna Jo Napoli, is a well written book, and it teaches a good lesson. This book shows the true meaning of friendship, and its values. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys suspenseful holocaust novels.