Nerilka's Story This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

This novel, the most recent in the Dragonriders of Pern series, is probably the most readable of them so far. Pern is a far-off world, once colonized by Earth, that lives in medieval style, and protects itself from outworld parasitic invaders with dragons. Nerilka's Story is written in a slightly different style than the others in the series; it is in the form of the journal of the daughter of a Fort Holder (what we would call a lord) named Nerilka. Nerilka is independent of her father, and regrets his treatment of a dangerous plague that threatens most of Pern. She abandons her status as royalty, and goes to treat the plague as a healing person. She meets true love, helps to find a cure for the plague, and lives happily ever after.

This novel has what most McCaffrey books lack: a plot, a reasonable length, and an ending. It also shares the fortes of most McCaffrey books: imaginative setting, in-depth characters and wonderful situations. In a nutshell. Nerilka's Story has all of the strengths of McCaffrey's other novels, but few of the standard weaknesses.n