Columbine by Dave Cullen | Teen Ink

Columbine by Dave Cullen

By violinistforlife SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
violinistforlife SILVER, Thornton, Colorado

Columbine is a very captivating book. Dave Cullen mastered this work, putting many years of research into a magnificent piece that lingers in your mind long after you put the book down. It takes common ‘knowledge’ of a tragedy, and breaks it down to show us what we don’t know. The tale of two high school killers could not be told better.
This book takes ten years of dedication and research and shows you the shooting that took place at Columbine High School on April 20, 1999. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were seniors attending this school. They were the attackers. They killed 12 students and one teacher, injured 23 others, and killed themselves. They attacked viciously, armed with guns, knives, and bombs and prepared to kill thousands. Not only does this novel explain what happened, it goes into a deep account of why. It explains the views of several professionals who have looked at this case as well as the victims and their families. It analyzes the killers psyche as well, showing you not only the killers last day on earth, but how they grew and the affect they had on the rest of the world.
This book reveals the haunting truth. Sometimes, it was difficult to read simply because what the killers did was so awful. It is still difficult for me to believe they actually did this. There was something wrong with them, whether or not anyone saw it before. It was strange to see how so many people saw these boys every day and did not suspect anything. It made me feel very suspicious of the students I interact with. I now question the actions of certain people around me. Then again, Columbine exposes the many stories that had appeared that glorified the shooting and horrified the world.
It was ridiculous to see how many myths had sprung up in a short amount of time. Nearly everything I thought I knew about Columbine was quickly laid to rest. Everything, from the number of victims to the killers past, has been revealed incorrectly. Most people’s impression of the killers is completely misguided. This book brought to light the ignorance of the average person. It points out the media’s mistakes as well. I see now that it is very important to think twice before believing what I hear on the news.
This book still comes to my mind every day. It has made a lasting impression on me. Dave Cullen is an amazing author, bringing this disaster a little too close and personal. He describes everything with amazing detail and knowledge. It is very descriptive, but doesn’t lose that edge that keeps you intrigued. I could hardly put this book down. I doubt anyone else would be able to either.