Shattered Mirror by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes | Teen Ink

Shattered Mirror by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

March 11, 2010
By Meghann BRONZE, Central Point, Oregon
Meghann BRONZE, Central Point, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Shattered Mirror
Witches, Vampires, and Magic, Oh my! That’s what you’re going to get as soon as you flip a page in Shattered Mirror by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. Amelia Atwater-Rhodes is an American author of fantasy and young adult literature. With her first novel, In the forests of the night, already published when she was just fourteen years old. I had no doubt in my mind her next books were going to be just a good. She has written a new book every year since 1999. Shattered mirror was released and published in 2001.
The title Shattered Mirror came from the poem by W. B. Yeats’ "The Two Trees". This poem talks about the two sides of a mirror just like this book talks about two different or two sides of vampires and witches.
Shattered Mirror set in the town Acton, Massachusetts. The story follows a young girl by the name of Sarah Tigress Vida who just happens to be a witch and vampire hunter. Her mother, Dominique Vida, is the most famous witch and even more famous among the vampires. They see the world in black and white. Good and bad. At least until Sarah meets Christopher.
Along the way Sarah encounters hatred, love, and many injuries. This novel is eye opening. You learn to see not only black and white but also the gray in the world. Some of the critics say:
"Readers will be racing to reach [the end] as they devour this compelling tale. Atwater-Rhodes does another fine job of building a suspenseful mood and sustaining it throughout."
—School Library Journal
"Fans of the teen Goth writer will likely find plenty to feast on here."
—Publishers Weekly

I was really looking forward to Atwater-Rhodes novels and to say the very least Shattered mirror is my favorite. Im defiantly not disappointed. It has dignity, defiance, independence and a little bit of romantic drama also.