The Hobbit | Teen Ink

The Hobbit MAG

The Hobbit

by J.R.R. Tolkien

Gollum, a creature spawned of evil, looked out with his lamp-like eyes at what had just appeared in his lair. He saw a demihuman, smaller than a dwarf. Although he saw that it would satisfy his hunger, he didn't like the look of its blade. To discover more about this creature, Gollum challenges it to a riddle contest. The stakes are high; if Gollum wins, he eats the demihuman. If it wins, then Gollum must show the way out to the lost thing.

This is, of course, J.R.R. Tolkien's book, The Hobbit. This fantasy novel stars the unlikely hero, Bilbo Baggins. Mr. Baggins is a hobbit, a small conservative creature, who was forced into adventure against his good hobbit sense. He found himself thrust from his quiet hobbit homeland to a world fraught with peril. Bilbo uses his wit to survive trolls, goblins, a forest that breaks one's body and mind, and even a dragon. Driven by his desire to live and help his friends, he attempts to overcome his foes.

The Hobbit is a brilliantly written novel told in the third person. The familiar style in which it is written appeals to many readers. Even though this is not a short book, any reader will find himself reading it straight through the night. This novel is a classic and is required reading for any fantasy lover. Even if you are not inclined to read this type of book, try it, you'll like it. n

Review by S. S., New City, NY

i love this !