Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell | Teen Ink

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

By CaveDwellers BRONZE, Kalispell, Montana
CaveDwellers BRONZE, Kalispell, Montana

Island of the Blue Dolphins is a book for all adventurous and strong girls and women. It tells the story of an Indian girl named Karana, who lived on the Island of the Blue Dolphins for years in isolation.

Karana is a girl who was born on the island with all of her indigenous family members. For many years they lived in peace and harmony, spending days fishing from canoes and watching the sun rise and set over the ocean.

The story takes a turn for the worse when Karana's entire family leaves the island and Karana is left behind with only her brother. He soon gets killed by a pack of wild dogs and Karana is left to fend for herself. After befriending one of the wild dogs she has a constant companion in her puppy, Rontu. She spends her days fishing, watching for boats, taking care of Rontu and waiting to be taken away.

Eighteen years go by as Karana becomes a woman and enjoys the natural beauty of Coral Cove, spending precious time isolated and scared but also wise and compassionate. Read this story to find out what becomes of Karana, to explore natural beauty and experience what life may have been like for this true-life historical fiction character. You will not be disappointed.

CaveDwellers said...
on Mar. 15 2010 at 4:55 pm
teenink .com supplied the photo!

on Mar. 13 2010 at 6:55 pm
sunnyhunny PLATINUM, Litchfield, New Hampshire

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Ghandi

i read this book and liked it. How did you get the picture of the book to represent it?