The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova | Teen Ink

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova MAG

Do you like romances? Traveling? Adventure? Mysterious horror stories? If you answered yes to any of these, The Historian is for you.

This is the story of a girl and her father and how they are drawn into a search for the greatest villain of all time – Count Dracula. But this isn’t Dracula from the movies, but a powerful warlord who is more than a match for the many hunters who have tried to destroy him.

While the story is ostensibly about Dracula, the plot centers instead on a teenage girl as she reads her father’s letters and discovers his romance with the mother she never knew. Her parents’ travels through Europe looking for information on Dracula make room for descriptions of exotic places, from tiny villages in Romania to Istanbul.

Elizabeth Kostova has obviously done her homework, using flashbacks, letters, and stories to tell a tale that spans 50 years. At times the narrative may seem a bit dry or weighty, but the viewpoint changes often enough to ensure it is never boring, and cliffhanger chapter endings keep you turning pages.

The Historian is a great read not only for any Dracula lover, but anyone who likes romance, history, travel, or just a good solid story.

Jordin87 said...
this was a great book. i would highly recommend it someone who likes historical fiction, adventure and a little mystery. this story kept me on the edge of my seat. going through everything with the characters. this was a great book filled with wonderful imaginative words that will engross you and have you believing.

I have been debating whether or not to read this book, but when i read your review on this shockingly think book, it really makes me want to read it regardless. You explained it in detail, but you left us hanging there. Your review has really encouraged me to read this book, and i thank you for that. i hope that i see more reviews from you! you have a strong voice that i think will convince many more people who get their hands on this.