My First Summer in the Sierra | Teen Ink

My First Summer in the Sierra MAG

Review by P. B., Seekonk, MA
   How would you like to walk through thesplendor of the Sierra Nevada, coming face to face with bears? JohnMuir did, and tells the tale in his book, My First Summer in theSierra. This book talks about his adventures, which include almostfalling off a cliff and into a raging river.

The Sierra Nevada became a refuge for John Muir, who first laid eyeson these majestic peaks in 1869. Hired to help guide a herd of sheepto summer pastures near Yosemite, California, he soon immersedhimself in the wonders of his surroundings: the breath-takinglandscapes, lush foliage, curious wildlife and graceful rivers fromthe Indian Basin to Cathedral Peak and from Yosemite Falls to theHigh Sierra. More than 40 years later, after more trips to theSierra, John gathered the detailed notes from his first journey intothis book.

The story of John Muir's first contact with the awe-inspiring beautyof the mountain he called "the range of light," My FirstSummer is an incredible tribute to the place he loved. This classichas more than 20 original sketches by him as well.

This book is one of the few I like. It kept my attention because itfocuses on the outdoors. If you like the outdoors, I recommendit.

i love this !