Anne of Green Gables | Teen Ink

Anne of Green Gables MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

Full of humor, love, friendshipand tragedy, Anne of Green Gables touches the heart and mind. You willlaugh, cry and feel a part of this excellent story.

Anne of GreenGables is the first in a series by the talented author, L. M.Montgomery. The setting is Prince Edward Island, Canada, in the littletown of Avonlea. The island is said to be one of the most beautifulplaces in the world. Immediately, the reader can imagine this istrue.

The story begins with Mrs. Rachel Lynde, Avonlea's gossip,seeing Matthew Cuthbert driving to town in his Sunday best. Matthew is ashy, quiet man of 60 and never does such things. Naturally, Mrs. Lynde,itching with curiosity, runs to Green Gables, the home of Matthew andhis sister, Marilla Cuthbert. She is shocked to find out they areadopting an orphan boy. Uptight and fidgety, she makes her way home.Meanwhile, Matthew arrives at the train station to find a tall, slender,freckled girl with dramatically red hair waiting for him. She introducesherself as "Anne, with an 'e,' Shirley." Unable to tell hershe is not the boy he and Marilla expected, he takes her home with him.The ride home is radiant. Anne talks her head off, and Matthew, thelistening type, enjoys himself immensely and takes a liking to thebright eleven-year-old.

But Matthew still needs to get Marilla todecide to keep her. Anne comes to Green Gables filled with hopes anddreams, only to have them crushed when she finds she's not wanted. Sheis, as she puts it, "in the depths of despair." It takes a fewdays, and many tears, before Marilla finally agrees to keep her. Ofcourse, Matthew wanted to all along. Anne makes them proud, andnaturally, they are overjoyed to have kept her. You'll travel throughfive years in pages full of suspense, joy, heartache, laughter and love.You'll learn about Anne's temper and vanity, as well as her good heartand kind soul. I feel as if I know the characters, and I loved thisbook.

If you enjoy Anne of Green Gables, look for the others inthe eight-book series. You can see these wonderful books come to life inthe movies, "Anne of Green Gables" and "Anne ofAvonlea," starring Megan Follows.

Anne of Green Gables is aclassic, very entertaining and irresistible. By the last page, you'llwant to read it all over again.

i love this !

on Nov. 8 2011 at 7:20 am
Ayushi_austen BRONZE, Kolkata, Other

I love my past. I love my present. I’m not ashamed of what I’ve had, and I’m not sad because I have it no longer...

hey have you read the entire series??

Anne Powdris SILVER, --, New Jersey
Words cannot describe my love for this book, for this author.

Anne of Green Gables opened the doors for me to classic-reading. I want to read it, and read it, and read it! One can never get enough of it!