Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Olive Kitteridge is one of the best books I've read in a long time. Elizabeth Strout's collection of 13 short stories all centers around Maine middle-school teacher Olive Kitteridge, and is not only entertaining, but thought-provoking as well. By the end, the reader feels both a connection to Olive and an understanding of the choices she made in her life.

Strout offers a unique literary perspective by opening Olive's innermost thoughts and those of the people she encounters. This combination allows the reader to assess Olive's life decisions from her point of view and from the perspective of those around her. I could spend forever analyzing each story.

I would strongly recommend this book to anyone. Although Olive is a middle-aged woman, the messages and underlying themes will appeal to any reader. I could read it over and over and continue to make new connections and find new details each time.

Elizabeth Strout is a wonderful author with a writing style that is almost poetic in its descriptions. If you're looking for an interesting read, Olive Kitteridge offers something for everyone.

Jane said...
Jan. 28, 2010 at 8:54 am
Wow. I wish the book reviews in the newspaper were this well written. I'll definitely read this book. It will be interesting to see how my perceptions as a "middle-aged woman" compare to Lauren's. From the maturity of the review, I suspect they'll be similar.

Uncle Scott said...
Lauren, nice job! Very insightful and extremely well-written. I'm not much for fiction, but after reading this, may be I'll pick up this book.
Scott