Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout | Teen Ink

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout MAG

January 18, 2010
By LaurenM BRONZE, Norwood, Massachusetts
LaurenM BRONZE, Norwood, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Olive Kitteridge is one of the best books I've read in a long time. Elizabeth Strout's collection of 13 short stories all centers around Maine middle-school teacher Olive Kitteridge, and is not only entertaining, but thought-provoking as well. By the end, the reader feels both a connection to Olive and an understanding of the choices she made in her life.

Strout offers a unique literary perspective by opening Olive's innermost thoughts and those of the people she encounters. This combination allows the reader to assess Olive's life decisions from her point of view and from the perspective of those around her. I could spend forever analyzing each story.

I would strongly recommend this book to anyone. Although Olive is a middle-aged woman, the messages and underlying themes will appeal to any reader. I could read it over and over and continue to make new connections and find new details each time.

Elizabeth Strout is a wonderful author with a writing style that is almost poetic in its descriptions. If you're looking for an interesting read, Olive Kitteridge offers something for everyone.


The author's comments:
I wrote this review for an independent reading assignment in my AP English class. After sharing it with members of my family, they encouraged me to submit it because the book has so many worthwhile lessons and is very relatable.