The Perks of Being a Wallflower This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Handsdown, this is the most endearing book I've ever read. What makes it great is theamazing characterization of the lovable protagonist Charlie. This is seriouslythe only book I've never wanted to put down.

Chbosky has the mostprovo-cative and honest way of writing. The text is simple and easy to read,complementing the genuineness of Charlie's character.

Through his lettersto an ambiguous reader, Charlie's world of innocence, literature, first-time druguse, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show," sex, and growing up is unraveled.Chbosky creates a relationship between the reader and Charlie, so that it seemsCharlie is writing directly to the reader.

This book has been compared toThe Catcher in the Rye and A Separate Peace, but it is not a tale of a depressed,angst-ridden teenager in search of himself while criticizing the rest of theworld. Rather, it is the narrative of a unique young "wallflower," onewho "sees things ... [keeps] quiet about them ... and [understands],"and looks for an honest world to live in.

Spanning his freshman year,Charlie grows from a naive child to an independent and thoughtful character withthe guidance of an English teacher and two seniors. Charlie's mind is far fromsimple, and he faces many obstacles including death in his family, dating, drugs,rape, suicide and his strong emotions. By conquering these, Charlie emerges as aneven stronger character.

On the first page, Charlie says that he"just [needs] to know that someone out there listens and understands anddoesn't try to sleep with people even if they could have." Im-mediately, Itook this book to heart because Charlie has a way of putting my ideas into words.There is a little part of Charlie in everyone. After reading The Perks of Being aWallflower, I assure you that Charlie will be with you forever.

theatregirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
to be honest! i hated this book. i felt like it was full like it was like many YA book- take way the drugs and sex and their no plot line. However, i like your review  

EmptySoul said...

I can't read this book. Its been stairing at me for months on my shelf.

I hope the movie is just as good as the book.

Great review!

Hailey said...
One of my favorite books, too. Good review.