Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli | Teen Ink

Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli

By brayan BRONZE, Gastonia, North Carolina
brayan BRONZE, Gastonia, North Carolina

The other day I picked out a book called Milkweed. The book is fiction based on true accounts. It takes place in 1939 in world war ll in Poland. The book is a story of an unnamed boy and his friend Uri who both steal, they do not have parents but Uri has many friends. They steal so much that, that’s how they meet each other at the time Uri happens to live in a barbershop basement. Uri teaches the boy with no name who latter becomes Misha , about how to live in a Nazi invaded Poland what to do and what not to do. At first the book is about how they steal things to eat and how they go about there every day lives. Misha meets Jaina by stealing from her garden. When there sent to the ghettos JaIna’s grandma dies. Uri doesn’t have to go because he doesn’t look Jewish. Misha finds ways to sneak out of the ghetto that way he can get food for Jaina’s family. They start to “resettle” the Jews to where they think will be a place of peace but really concentration camps. MIsha finds Uri outside of the ghetto who informs him to run and tells him the truth about the camps there being sent to. One night Jaina see her family being sent to trains she tries to go get them and ends up being put on the train and Misha gets shot trying to get Jaina. Uri follows train tracks and ends being found by a men sleeping on the rail road tracks and he lives in his farm for three years. When all is over and the war has ended he goes to America where he works by talking about his story. He gets married. This book was very inspiring. Although sometimes it was hard to understand it has a way of getting your attention and it’s just something most people would not think that children would have to go through the time of war and depression.

on Jan. 7 2013 at 11:43 am
You are slightly misinformed. Reread the book. Janina's mother died, not her grandmother.