Nightlight, a Parody Book Review by The Harvard Lampoon | Teen Ink

Nightlight, a Parody Book Review by The Harvard Lampoon

By Vanessa W. BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Vanessa W. BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

The polar opposite to the intense, dramatic and romantic Twilight saga by Stephanie Meyers, Nightlight, a Parody is an upbeat comedy that will leave a lasting impression. Written by The Harvard Lampoon, a British undergrad publishing company, this book is 160 pages of non-stop laughter.

Belle Goose has exiled herself off to Switchblade, Oregon while her mother and step-father, Bill tours with his street hockey team. Belle has left to live with her father, Jim who works as a window wiper for the town of Switchblade. She goes to the local high school where she meets Edwart Mullen and falls in love. There is just one conflict with her love. Edwart is a super geek with an extreme fear of girls. Following this book to the end will leave you with an ending you will never expect.

Being a huge Twilight fan, I was hesitant at first to pick this book up. I am glad that I did however. I read the first chapter and was hooked. I would recommend that you have read Twilight though, because most of the humor comes from jokes made off of the original text. I also kept my mind open while I was reading this book, and appreciated the humor as it came, not judging it for mocking my favorite books. I did however, have a few problems with the book. I didn’t like the new plot of this book was so different from the original, it was still funny but I wish that instead it had been more similar.

I would recommend this book giving it 4.8 stars out of five and I would also recommend this book to anyone who isn’t going to be offended by a Twilight parody. Anyone who is interested in a good rib cracking laugh should read Nightlight. It’s a very good book and is definitely worth the extra effort to follow it.