Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutcher | Teen Ink

Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutcher

December 16, 2009
By Anonymous

Suspicion, terror, friendship, family, and heart breaking stories are what make up the book Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutcher. It’s an intriguing story made up of surprising events. When Sarah Byrnes was three, she suffered mysterious scars on her face. Sarah said they were from a boiling pan of water “accidently” poured on her face. You will have to see for yourself what the truth is.

The moral is expressed clearly throughout the book. Many people who saw Sarah would run and never give her the chance to explain. A teacher gave her that chance. Lemry, the teacher, did not tell Sarah that there were other kinds of beautiful, or that everything was going to be ok; she flat out told Sarah that it look like she had had a hard life. Lemry recognized that and that’s all that Sarah wanted. Sometimes you need to hear the harsh truth, and then receive the sympathy. During this point of time Sarah was going through some hard times. I loved how Chris Crutcher added the character of a close teacher. It really showed the possible relationship between a student and teacher.

Sarah and Eric have been best friends for a long time and this book truly showed how far they would stretch for each other. They pushed and pushed to try and make things work, but sometimes there was nothing they could do. In this book there are a lot of intense and dramatic parts. That’s what keeps the story moving though, hard times and of course, in the end, good times.

This is one of my favorite books to read. It tells everybody the hard cold truth. Chris Crutcher writes this book so you want to keep reading forever. There’s always something important happening to make sure you’re paying attention. The suspense just keeps building up to a big finale, you may not expect it but you will most definitely enjoy it!

In conclusion, this book has a great moral and shows true friendship! There are lots of interesting stories and flashbacks! Enjoy!