Chosen by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast | Teen Ink

Chosen by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

December 15, 2009
By ShelbyR BRONZE, New Albany, Indiana
ShelbyR BRONZE, New Albany, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

The novel Chosen is by P.C. Cast and her daughter Kristin Cast. The novel is about a young girl named Zoey, who is a fledgling, which in other words means that she is a vampyre-in-training, so to speak. Vampyre is the way that they spell the actual word vampire in this novel. In this novel, the main character Zoey has many crazy factors in her life that she has to try and juggle. One, her best friend Stevie-Ray is undead- meaning that she once was a fledgling but she had died, and when she was brought back to life her humanity was lost. Two, she has three boyfriends: Full vampyre- Loren, Fledgling- Erik, and Human- Heath. Three, she doesn’t know who she can trust anymore.
The main character Zoey has to try and give Stevie – Ray back her humanity, and in doing so, she loses those dearest to her because she is forced to keep her (Stevie – Ray) a secret. Meanwhile, Zoey is also juggling three boyfriends, Erik, Loren, and Heath. None know about the other men in her life. Also, Zoey finds trust in the one person she never thought she would trust. Ever.
The genre I saw this novel being included in was fantasy. The novel was filled with vampyres, romance, and a little bit of mystery (Stevie- Ray). The definition of fantasy is this: imagination, esp. when extravagant and unrestrained. This novel fit the description of a fantasy very well.
Whenever I picked the book up at the library, I thought, “Oh great another vampire book like the Twilight series… surprise surprise!” When I started to really get into it I realized that it wasn’t just another vampire book. It was very unique and had a voice of its own. The writing style was all written from Zoey’s point of view and she had a strong voice throughout the entire book.
However, I didn’t understand the book very well. Since the book was the third installment in the series I didn’t understand all that was leading up to everything that happened. I hadn’t read the first two, so I felt lost the entire time I was reading it. I was pleased with the writing style which was very strong and it was very different from the normal ‘carbon copy’ of the Twilight saga.
Overall, I liked the writing style and the plot line was good, but I would suggest reading the first two novels, Marked and Betrayed before you read Chosen. To find out if Zoey helps Stevie – Ray, how she manages to keep her boyfriend, and how she deals with all the other drama in her life, you’ll have to read the book!