Artemis Fowl THe Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer | Teen Ink

Artemis Fowl THe Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer

December 14, 2009
By Luke Lete BRONZE, New Albany, Indiana
Luke Lete BRONZE, New Albany, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Artemis Fowl The Arctic Incident
Artemis Fowl The Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer is the second of six books in the Artemis Fowl collection. In the beginning of this story, Artemis’ father has been missing for almost two full years; Artemis and his mother are getting very worried. One day Artemis receives an e-mail from the Russian Mafia. This e-mail is a video clip that zooms in on a person in a very snowy and cold place. A voice asks for a ransom; the message then cuts out. Artemis views this message with his bodyguard Butler; Artemis thinks that the man in the message is his father.
Meanwhile, in Haven City, a city which is part of the fairy world and located under the human world, a fairy named Holly is part of the LEPrecon squad. The LEPrecon squad is like a police surveillance force; this squad helps keep the city safe. One day while out on patrol, Holly comes across goblins with outlawed and illegal soft nose lasers powered by human batteries. Holly takes care of the goblins and reports back to a supervisor named Foaly. She describes the peculiar behavior and weaponry of the goblins that are part of the B’wa Kell. Holly and Foaly think the goblins may be the work of the young genius Artemis Fowl who is trading with the goblins. Holly then kidnaps Butler the bodyguard and Artemis Fowl and brings them back for interrogation. After testing Butler and Artemis, Holly and Foaly discover that they had no knowledge of the subject. Holly and Foaly decide the two young men could help them on their search for who is behind the goblins interesting behavior. Artemis strikes a deal with Holly and Foaly; he will help them stop the goblins if they help him rescue his father who is believed to be in northern Russia. Holly and her commander Root agree to the offer and head off to Paris to find out who is behind everything. They determine that Cudgeon is in alliance with the B’wa Kell and they have a weapon that will wipe out any specific race when programmed. Will Cudgeon and the B’wa Kell eliminate the entire race of fairies and humans? Will Artemis finally rescue his dad?
I thought that Artemis Fowl The Arctic Incident was a subpar book. I found The Arctic Incident very mediocre; it did not grab my attention and it was hard to say focused. This book had lots of action and guns in it, but was very disappointing. Whenever there was a fighting or shooting segment in the book no one was wounded or died. The characters did knock each other unconscious from time to time. I found the book hard to follow; at the beginning of the book it was hard to understand what was happening, where the characters were, and exactly what the author meant. I would rate Artemis Fowl The Arctic Incident fives stars on a ten point scale. Perhaps the book would have made more sense if I had read the first book prior to reading this book.