The Little Prince This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

At a glance, The Little Prince is the tale of a man who crashes his airplane into the desert only to meet a traveling boy from a small planet. The boy inquires about trees and sheep, shares his journeys and various encounters, and then leaves. Yet, reading between the lines, the story offers a much more complex, enriching, satisfying and eye-opening moral: what matters in life is love - and caring about someone or something and maintaining that relationship.

The prince loves his rose enough to care for it every night by protecting it with a glass globe and requesting a muzzle for his sheep. He knows that the rose is naive with only four purposeless thorns and, out of his loyalty to her, it is his duty to protect her. Likewise, the narrator loves the prince and feels an obligation to secure his safe journey home.

Adults have trouble remembering that love matters most in life. The narrator describes their lack of imagination and inability to contemplate abstract ideas. When he draws a picture of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant, they only see it as an odd-shaped hat. This quality is carried throughout the book, making The Little Prince somewhat a satire on adults.

There was nothing about the book that I disliked. I felt a strong attraction to the little prince and could empathize with him when he felt obligated to protect his flower.

To me, the little prince is the epitome of innocence; he sees the world as it is: honestly, simply, and he's able to see people for who they are and distinguish good values from bad. He challenges everyone he meets (including his readers) to learn to love. If anything, I regret that the book ended so soon and wish that I had not read it so fast. The ending is magical, so you must read it. Though just over 100 pages, The Little Prince will stay with me forever.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

ChobaniLuvinPenguin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:53 pm:
I completely agree! I love The Little Prince! Excellent review, really well-phrased, great details!