Go Ask Alice | Teen Ink

Go Ask Alice MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

     I picked up this book on a 50-cent rackbecause I thought the cover was interesting. Two hours later, I stoppedreading with great reluctance.

This is the diary of a young drugaddict. Published in the 1970s, it details Alice's (as we know themain character) descent into the underworld of drugs and her emotionalstruggle to escape her addictions. It's a revealing and incrediblyhonest book, at points almost painfully so. It's great, but alsofrightening.

Alice is not a derelict or an orphan; she is thedaughter of a respected middle-class couple. She is not introduced todrugs by a bum on a street corner; she gets a soda that's beenspiked with LSD at a friend's home. Her first experience withdrugs and how it leads her deep into that world is vividly described.Finally, an horrific experience while under the influence of marijuanaconvinces her to get clean, but she has a hard time. The descriptions ofAlice's experiences are extremely detailed, the good as well asthe bad.

Although this book has some content that would beinappropriate for younger teens, it's good for high school kids.If you are even thinking about doing drugs, or have a friend who istrying them, read this book! It'll turn you off drugs for lifewhile giving you a fascinating and compelling read at the same time.