Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

October 15, 2009
By miranda2355 BRONZE, Milo, Maine
miranda2355 BRONZE, Milo, Maine
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Melinda Sordino started 9th grade, with no friends because she called the cops at the end of the summer party and everyone got busted. She goes through a lot of things through school trying to hide the fact why she called 911 at the party and hated thinking about why she did. She met this girl named, Heather and she wanted Melinda to join different activity groups and hang out with her all the time. Well Melinda's grade aren't that good and her parents get really upset with her. She even decided to ditch class sometimes because she hates school so bad. She has to go to school where everyone hates her for busting the party and the reason why she did, she has to deal with seeing the guy everyday at school. She really wants to tell someone her big secret that happened the night but she just cant. It makes her sick just to think about it. The only class she actually likes is art class and feels comfortable in there. Melinda finds this old closet in the school where it looks like no one has been in there forever and just stays in there all day doing her work. One day she was walking and she saw that guy that was the reason she called the cops and he tried to attack her again but she fought back and didn’t let him do anything to her. Than once someone herd her scream the truth was out to everyone in the school now and she wasn’t the most hated girl at school anymore.

I really liked this book. When I read a few pages of it I didn’t want to stop. This story is really hooking. It is also interesting to read because its something that could happen right around here. I think she should have told someone before but I can see why she wouldn’t of wanted to say anything. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read a good books.


The author's comments:
I liked this book because when I read the first page or two I started getting hooked to it and didn't want to stop reading it.