Crank by Ellen Hopkins | Teen Ink

Crank by Ellen Hopkins

February 28, 2008
By Anonymous

Have you ever read a book in which the main characters seemed to come into existence? If you just answered no, you unquestionably have not had the pleasure of reading Crank, a novel written by Ellen Hopkins.
A seventeen-year-old high school junior tells the book in first person. Throughout the book, you see a complete change in her attitude. Kristina goes from an above-average student to someone whose grades are plummeting moreover, she is of no disposition to get any of them back.
Many of her problems start when her Mother and Stepfather allow her to visit her biological father, who is a known drug user. After being in that atmosphere for less than two weeks, Kristina has changed her name to Bree, used Crystal Meth, and “fallen in love” with a druggie.
It doesn't take long for Bree to develop into a Meth addict, so when she returns to her family abode, her tribulations come right along with her. Some of her trials include being raped by her drug-dealer, arguing with her Mother, failing grades, skipping school, and getting pregnant.
In my opinion, the only downfall to the entire tale is the ending. Kristina finds someone who genuinely loves her, a gentleman who is prepared to risk everything to be with her. He is eager to raise her child, but she can't seem to figure out what to do. You are left wondering, will she succumb to her addiction or will she conquer it?
I enjoyed reading Crank because Ellen Hopkins has amazing talent. She makes the characters come to life and has the ability to make you crave their comradeship. If you appreciate a novel longer in length, or a novel written in verse form, you will undeniably be fond of Crank. I recommend that everyone read it prior to graduating high school, although it is a little too mature for students still in junior high.