Double Identity by Margaret Peterson Haddix | Teen Ink

Double Identity by Margaret Peterson Haddix

What would you do if you weren’t the only you, but really the clone of somebody else; somebody to replace a person who has already lived the life you’re living? Well in Margaret Peterson Haddix’s Double Identity that’s exactly what happens to the main character Bethany Cole.

In the novel main character Bethany Cole is a thirteen year old girl whose whole life is turned upside down when she discovers that she was never born but instead created, nothing more then a clone or her deceased self. Throughout the whole book she’s searching for clues to unanswered questions of her sisters/her own life because her parents up and move her into her aunts house, who she had never even heard of. What she learns is that in reality she nothing more than a duplicate of Elizabeth, her parents first child.
Elizabeth died in a tragic car accident and due to the fact that her parents were unable to cope with her death they took her cells to create a clone, Bethany. Bethany up until now had never known anything about her “past” except for the fact that she found it strange how her mother was always crying and her father never seemed happy. All the pieces to puzzle slowly form the final picture to reveal an interesting end; so if you want to find out the rest of the answers to Bethany’s arrival you’ll have to read the book.

As for me I liked the suspense, as I was reading. I kept pondering all the possibilities of how and why she came to be and I certainly wasn’t disappointed with the ending. I would recommend this book in general but especially to people who like sci-fi, maybe a little mystery. It’s a book that really makes you think and keeps you wondering.

ccbrown41 said...
on Nov. 3 2009 at 7:21 am
i think this is cool